Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best restaurant in the DR (Perhaps)

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried Casa Mami (Spanish owner), really good.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Casa mami is decent dominican food at a decent price. If I wanted to eat on a budget I would go to the pica pollo in front of los locos en frente on callejon. Dominican food for 100 pesos and it's just as good as casa mami's (175 pesos).

Off Topic - Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

What are the hours of La Casita De Papi.......
    Going to the North Coast this morning, like to give it a try...........
    And, are they open for lunch.......and if so, is the luncheon menu the same as the dinner menu........

B in Santiago

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waytogo View Post
    And, are they open for lunch.......and if so, is the luncheon menu the same as the dinner menu........

B in Santiago
    I'd say anytime after noon is fine.. now you're making me wanna go lol..

5. Likes waytogo liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

closed sundays! i know because i always seem to end up trying to go there on a sunday

Music, Rum and Cigars
    Post Thanks / Like

Casa de Papi is a sure stop on each trip for me. We always eat the crusteans of the day with the pernod sauce (a la Papi). It is a nice restaurant.

When you sit on the first floor overlooking the beach there is even a chance you can enjoy your food without hassle of the vendors.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "packed and full" restaurants

Long ago and far away, while constantly traveling on business, out of boredom I did a survey of restaurants.

I found that full restaurants were popular because they were good — in many cases "were" was the operative word.

They were at the top of their curve and thriving off of good will. But sometimes good will never dies regardless of the sclerotic kitchen staff (e.g., Maxime's in Paris). Sometimes good will never dies due to steady diligence of management (e.g., Tour d'Argent). But most often good will peaks and decays, and crowded restaurants signal the owners drove the business to the top of the good will curve and are either about to sell or have sold, and the new owner is cashing in on the good will — for a while anyway (e.g., a steak house in SD I won't mention).

Next, empty or half empty restaurants are either on the way up (slowly) or the way down (quickly) on the popularity curve.

Application of a little game theory on the different cases will show the most probable win is to pick a restaurant that looks new or renovated and has some clientele. When you find the one that's a climber, you can use it every time you visit that town and ride the curve for years. If you limit your choices to full-to-crowded restaurants, you're probably going to crash and burn sooner than later — if not right away.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waytogo View Post

B in Santiago
    They usually open at 12:00 and the luncheon menu is the same as dinner.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Papi's is awesome ... I usually get the baby lobsters with Papi sauce ... so good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12