View Poll Results: What do you think about the results?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Its consistent with what I've been told/read/experienced.

10 50.00%
  • Its not consistent with what I've been told/read/experienced.

2 10.00%
  • I don't know what to think about this.

8 40.00%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Dominican Color/Racial Preference Findings

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pedrochemical View Post
    Good on him, and thanks for the straight answer.

but...

Look, the whole reason for you getting out of bed and doing this today is to show that 2 plus 2 equals 5.
    You were wrong before and you are wrong now.

And why are you not more alarmed that more than half of the population would not be happy for their family members to marry a Haitian?
    That is the real story, the lack of education and the prevalence of medieval views in the D.R.
    How many Haitians would be happy if their offspring married a white person or a Dominican?

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    How many Haitians would be happy if their offspring married a white person or a Dominican?
    That's a tough question to answer seriously.

However, I do wonder what Peña Gómez's biological Haitian parents would had thought of their daughter-in-law.

Maybe the same as Papa Doc with his own daughter-in-law?

No, it can't be. That would only turn this into a discussion of hypocrisy and that's not what this is about; but it could explain the adamant overreaction. Add to that a latent anti-Dominican feeling and, perhaps, jealousy for all the bad things happening on one side of the island when the other continues to develop. Rivalry, jealousy, envy; I'm sure its all playing a role.

Moderator Polls Forum

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    Absolutely fine with that.
    In fact in a perverse reverse racism they would prefer that.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NALs View Post
    Rivalry, jealousy, envy; I'm sure its all playing a role.

You would like to think that but in reality everyone who lives in the DR knows that lighter is preferable to darker for the majority.
    You just cannot get away from it.
    That is colourism.
    Period.

Keep coming up with threads to show that this is not true if you like but nobody is drinking the Kool-aid.

I love the DR and I love Haiti in a bitter sweet way, so what?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

You would like to think that but in reality everyone who lives in the DR knows that lighter is preferable to darker for the majority.
    You just cannot get away from it.
    That is colourism.
    Period.

that goes without saying. whenever i hear a Dominican insulting another, i sometimes hear him referring to ¨maldito negro. i have NEVER heard a Dominican say the words ¨maldito blanco¨

Keep coming up with threads to show that this is not true if you like but nobody is drinking the Kool-aid.

I love the DR and I love Haiti in a bitter sweet way, so what?

that goes without saying. whenever i hear a Dominican insulting another, i sometimes hear him referring to ¨maldito negro. i have NEVER heard a Dominican say the words ¨maldito blanco

6. Likes RG84 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. Being mixed, Black, American Indian , with a smattering of white, but being dark brown, I have encountered only a little racism in the Dominican Republic. My wife is Dominican, of course, and when we met, there was some, but not a lot of resistance because in her family, there are white Dominicans and Black ones, and it's not that big of a deal, the biggest complaint she had was that she was told that all Black Americans were uneducated, poor and on welfare, and that she would have a hard life if she married me. Her father was dark and married into a very politically prominent White skinned Dominican family who basically disowned her mother when she married a dark skinned person, but the animosity over that seems to have waned over the decades and it's more acceptable.
    The stereotypes abound, and there is some discrimination, and some raised eyebrows when I tell them my educational background ( Graduate Degree ) and my financial status ( middle class-middle middle ), but overall, once they know me as an individual, away from the stereotypes, it fades.

I think race is irrelevant these days, but that's me, but there are some that hold fast to old habits. C'est la vie.....

8. Likes Likeitizz, bob saunders liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely fine with that.
    In fact in a perverse reverse racism they would prefer that.
    But you are not Haitian.

10. Likes Taino808, bronzeallspice liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaiallen View Post
    Interesting. Being mixed, Black, American Indian , with a smattering of white, but being dark brown, I have encountered only a little racism in the Dominican Republic. My wife is Dominican, of course, and when we met, there was some, but not a lot of resistance because in her family, there are white Dominicans and Black ones, and it's not that big of a deal, the biggest complaint she had was that she was told that all Black Americans were uneducated, poor and on welfare, and that she would have a hard life if she married me. Her father was dark and married into a very politically prominent White skinned Dominican family who basically disowned her mother when she married a dark skinned person, but the animosity over that seems to have waned over the decades and it's more acceptable.
    The stereotypes abound, and there is some discrimination, and some raised eyebrows when I tell them my educational background ( Graduate Degree ) and my financial status ( middle class-middle middle ), but overall, once they know me as an individual, away from the stereotypes, it fades.

I think race is irrelevant these days, but that's me, but there are some that hold fast to old habits. C'est la vie.....
    Do not tell people your educational background or your financial status let people think what they want, LIFE is easier that way. If they cannot accept YOU for who you are SCREW them. Where you attended school or your net worth does not define who you are, YOU define who you are. A man is NOT determinant how much a man makes.

BTW I tell people in the DR when they ask me what do I do in the US, I reply " I the one in charge of putting salt on fries at Burger King", life is EASIER that way allowing people to think the way they want.

12. Likes Likeitizz, jaiallen liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMB773 View Post
    Do not tell people your educational background or your financial status let people think what they want, LIFE is easier that way. If they cannot accept YOU for who you are SCREW them. Where you attended school or your net worth does not define who you are, YOU define who you are. A man is NOT determinant how much a man makes.

BTW I tell people in the DR when they ask me what do I do in the US, I reply " I the one in charge of putting salt on fries at Burger King", life is EASIER that way allowing people to think the way they want.
    You've got a promotion?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMB773 View Post

Glad you took my advice.......

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast