View Poll Results: The spike in crime is due to....

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Increasing number of ex-felons who are relapsing.

8 14.04%
  • Increasing illegal drug trade.

8 14.04%
  • The police not combating this problem as it should or could.

20 35.09%
  • Government officials not caring.

4 7.02%
  • Lack of opportunity for upward mobility.

8 14.04%
  • The increasing gap between the haves and tourists vs the have nots.

9 15.79%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tenga Mucho Cuidado (Part II)...

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boogieman
    i wonder what you mean by:

The increasing gap between the haves and tourists vs the have nots.
    The increasing presence of well-heeled and middle class Dominicans in many of the city and what appears to be well heeled tourists zipping by on tour buses could cause a poor Dominican to question why they are poor.

This is particularly true if the poor Dominican works hard and/or see's other people working hard and never getting ahead financially. At some point the poor Dominican will come to the conclusion that they want the Lexus and through personal experience or observation they come to the conclusion that working hard will not give them the means to buy the Lexus. However, since they don't "know" or they don't want to study and take the long road to riches, they would prefer to emigrate or win the lottery or do the easy thing which is to steal other peoples property.

They will come to the conclusion of stealing only once they have reached such low levels of self-worth and remove all inhibitions which prevented them from stealing in the first place (ie. they convince themselves that God does not exist, in order to feel in control of his/her life and thus validate the theft).

Don't be surprised if you ask 20 Dominicans what are the only ways of attaining riches, if the most prevailing answers would be winning the lottery or emigrating and small number of people mentioning education, entreprenuership, hard work, etc.

This is not a problem exclusive to the DR or developing countries since I remember reading a report a few months ago reporting on the alarming rate that lower and middle class Americans are falling in the belief that the best way of getting ahead is winning the lottery or being connected. It's quite a change from the previous generations who valued hard work and savings.

-NALs

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M.A.R.
    I agree with your points, I guess we have to go back to that thread about dominicans who go back to the island showing off their riches. Don't they feel bad that most of the people there look at them and they wish they have a nice tshirt to wear on sundays, at least??? That's the reason why I don't wear fancy stuff when I go there, no jewerly either, and I give away most of the stuff I bring. Material things are nothing to me. Sometimes I'm surprised when I go back like every 2 years and I see the little kids still wearing what I had given them and that's when I realize how difficult it is. The men make like $10 a day to work in the fields, yes $10 a day, how can you not turn to crime out of frustration.
    much respect bro!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NALs
    The increasing presence of well-heeled and middle class Dominicans in many of the city and what appears to be well heeled tourists zipping by on tour buses could cause a poor Dominican to question why they are poor.

This is particularly true if the poor Dominican works hard and/or see's other people working hard and never getting ahead financially. At some point the poor Dominican will come to the conclusion that they want the Lexus and through personal experience or observation they come to the conclusion that working hard will not give them the means to buy the Lexus. However, since they don't "know" or they don't want to study and take the long road to riches, they would prefer to emigrate or win the lottery or do the easy thing which is to steal other peoples property.

They will come to the conclusion of stealing only once they have reached such low levels of self-worth and remove all inhibitions which prevented them from stealing in the first place (ie. they convince themselves that God does not exist, in order to feel in control of his/her life and thus validate the theft).

Don't be surprised if you ask 20 Dominicans what are the only ways of attaining riches, if the most prevailing answers would be winning the lottery or emigrating and small number of people mentioning education, entreprenuership, hard work, etc.

This is not a problem exclusive to the DR or developing countries since I remember reading a report a few months ago reporting on the alarming rate that lower and middle class Americans are falling in the belief that the best way of getting ahead is winning the lottery or being connected. It's quite a change from the previous generations who valued hard work and savings.

-NALs
    sad... true... and well understood.

whats even more concerning is the fact that many developed countries are not closing the doors on third world visa applicants...

with that in mind, poor countries will have to think fast of a way to increase revenue. no wonder tax havens are born.... money laundering will be on the up and up, and rightfully so. its a way to get money in the system.

but do you think the U.S cares about poverty in the DR or other places in the world? HARDLY SO!!!!!!!!

the U.S went into iraq for financial reasons... (please lets not get into politics as this is my view.. i respect others views).... the cost of operations in iraq are undoubtedly in the BILLIONS!

those billions can be spend in africa, south america, and other suffering areas in the world.... then again... the u.s has always been about capitalism.. its a damn shame and im very ****ed off right now just typing this ****.... so im outta here for a while to cool off.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boogieman
    much respect bro!
    I don't think M.A.R. is a "Bro", a Bro-ette maybe,hahahaha

To add, not enough job/career opportunities for Dominicans and compound this with cheap Haitian labor displacing Dominican labor and Deportes arriving every Wednesday, it's understandable that crime is getting worse. Plus, the lack of a stable educational system is not benefiting the country.
    Last edited by Ricardo900; 05-09-2006 at 03:54 PM.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Ricardo, I was gonna let it go but since you brought it up, I admit it I'm not a bro.

Post Thanks / Like

I really think that its a combination of all of those factors. However if the country had a well paid and trained police force it would be a huge help.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

the scary thing is that some police are the ones commiting the crime due to poor pay

sokitoumi

a lot of the ex pats are also felons on the run from their country of origin

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Their love of easy money

The increase in crime is due to the criminals that have been deported or escaped back to the DR to avoid prison.

They went to the land of apportunity and chose to make fast money the easy way. They are not going to go back to the DR and work hard for peanuts.

Without education, when they come to the US they usually have to work making minimum wage. If someone offers them a lot of money just to take a little package here or there, for them is a no brainer, forget 9 to 5 minimum wage.

Once they are sucked into the that life style, they just fall in love with money. As the Bible saids, the LOVE of money is the root of all kinds of evil. Therefore, they get into a life of crime here, and then they continue this life in the DR, recruiting others along the way.
    Last edited by domicanita; 10-23-2007 at 10:24 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12