View Poll Results: Once the Cuban embargo is lifted, what hand made cigars would you buy?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dominican cigars

52 61.90%
  • Cuban cigars

25 29.76%
  • Nicaraguan cigars

6 7.14%
  • Honduran cigars

0 0%
  • Other country cigars

1 1.19%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cigars, Cigars, and More Cigars

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cigars, Cigars, and More Cigars

Once the Cuban embargo is lifted, what hand made cigars would you buy?

A) Dominican cigars
    B) Cuban cigars
    C) Nicaraguan cigars
    E) Honduran cigars
    F) Other country cigars

Originator of poll: Chola1978

-NALs

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Warning label.

Cigars are big business, I am just suggesting a warning label.

Cancer is one sharp knife.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

you mean as in cigars sold in a certain country ? most cigar smokers are aware that there are few cigars where the total cigar is ever all from one country.

if i had to vote, i would vote for nicaragua. cuban cigars are way overrated just like cohibas...

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't realise the DR had an embargo on importing Cuban cigars??

How many other countries in the World impose this embargo? ~ Grahame.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BushBaby View Post
    How many other countries in the World impose this embargo? ~ Grahame.
    I think it is only the US so for everyone else the 'when the embargo is lifted' is a bit irrelevant. Please to remember that the US is not the world .
    60% of Cuban cigars go to Spain, perfectly legally, & there is an outfit in Malaga which 'packages discreetly' & sends on to US.

Even US citizens can get a licence to visit Cuba & return with Cuban cigars I believe. People such as 'Politicians, Cuban Americans, Journalists, Legitimate researchers, Athletes & Religious groups' according to this
    Cuban Cigars in the United States & Legal Information

Don't you just love that list?

6. Likes YUL514 liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

That list is interesting, but an athlete smoking. Back to the OP, I thought part of the job of a moderator was to make sure the questions in the poll made some kind of sense.

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A.Hidalgo View Post
    That list is interesting, but an athlete smoking. Back to the OP, I thought part of the job of a moderator was to make sure the questions in the poll made some kind of sense.
    Chola1978 is apparently in the cigar business and based on what he expressed to me in the PM when he suggested the poll; it appears that he is worried about the Cuban threat.

Now, it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to identify the audience this poll is directed towards. At least I hope not.

The U.S. is the largest market for Dominican cigars, over half of all cigars consumed in the U.S. are of Dominican origin; a market that Cuba practically owned before the embargo.

Castro is now out of the picture, his brother is slowing bringing more liberties to Cuba and is willing to negotiate with the U.S. With the U.S. elections being in November and a new administration taking power, the embargo may just end in a matter of a few years if not months.

Can anyone see why the Dominican cigar industry fears the Cuban threat? Can anyone see why Chola1978 is worried about this?

I hope so.

-NALs

9. Likes scottyo liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NALs View Post
    Chola1978 is apparently in the cigar business and based on what he expressed to me in the PM when he suggested the poll; it appears that he is worried about the Cuban threat. Now, it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to identify the audience this poll is directed towards. At least I hope not. The U.S. is the largest market for Dominican cigars, over half of all cigars consumed in the U.S. are of Dominican origin; a market that Cuba practically owned before the embargo.Castro is now out of the picture, his brother is slowing bringing more liberties to Cuba and is willing to negotiate with the U.S. With the U.S. elections being in November and a new administration taking power, the embargo may just end in a matter of a few years if not months. Can anyone see why the Dominican cigar industry fears the Cuban threat? Can anyone see why Chola1978 is worried about this?I hope so. -NALs
    NALs, at times your explanations exceed the the confusion you cause by your initial poll!!
    Sorry Chola1978 I never REALISED you were in the cigar business - how remiss of me!
    Sorry Chola1978 I did not comprehend you were worried about where your future clientelle was going to be coming from'

As 80% (or greater) of DR1 posters are non smokers & perhaps 2% only have an occassional cigar, perhaps another localaity for getting the sort of information you are looking for might be more suitable ..... like a magazine/forum run for & by smokers!

From a marketing point of view, have you considered locking in to a specific market like GOLF??? Loads of golfers smoke cigars (not me, I am a PIPE man!!). I have a couple of marketing ideas for this if you would like to PM me. ~ Grahame.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Good Day to you All.
    NAls thnak you for posting the Poll.
    The Dominican Cigar industry is pretty good at the moment in certain market we have very little competition and in other we are not the favorite (EUROPE,Brazil.
    indeed this poll was intended to get a feeling of What DR1 members think about Cigars and i that lifting the US base embargo would have a effect on potential consumers.

So far we dont see a marketing problem with our tabaco its just is best to see what the reaction would be in all sectors of the industry and out side of it...
    Grahame..maybe we can talk about your marketing Ideas while giving g you a tour of our Guayavera factory.in Santiago...all are welcome to join..maybe we can sample some upcoming blends of cigars ..and meet some of the smokers and the one oppose to the idea also.....

Post Thanks / Like

The fact is, Dominican cigars are generally much better made than many of the top Cuban brands.

When the embargo is lifted, the Spanish-French consortium Altadis will own the marketing rights to almost all of the major Cuban brands in the United States. But, so what?

Do you really think that Cuba will turn its back on Spain and France and England, clients for more than 40 years, to sell a few cigars inthe US??

I do not know Cholo but if he has a factory I am sure that he knows what I am saying is right.

Not to worry, the DR cigar business is fine and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future..

HB

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast