Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alternative to taxi fare from the Santo Domingo airport (las americas internacional)?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

It appears it is a moral struggle rather than a financial one. But why someone with tight morals against corrupt and illegally enforced rules would even bother entering the DR is beyond me. Morally you couldn't leave the house for fear of being surrounded by exactly that of what you prefer to stand against. Crazy!

2. Likes pollogringo liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Givadogahome View Post
    It appears it is a moral struggle rather than a financial one. But why someone with tight morals against corrupt and illegally enforced rules would even bother entering the DR is beyond me. Morally you couldn't leave the house for fear of being surrounded by exactly that of what you prefer to stand against. Crazy!
    No, crazy would be fearmongering. Telling me I am asking to be robbed by walking around by the airport is what is crazy. I don't have much in the way of fear. If we are going to stop being taken advantage of when we travel, someone has to say no. Please feel free to pay any price the taxi union decides you should pay to get to the airport while stopping anyone trying to offer a better deal. I'll do things my way, thank you.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

And thank you Negro Americano for your useful information in your two private messages. Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer my questions

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

It is not fearmongering, some tourist hauling their ass down the road on the way out the airport is not advisable, anywhere. People ignoring pretty basic travelling tips is the reason people keep getting robbed, mugged or whatever, it is pretty basic know how and not to, but you go ahead, save yourself 10 bucks and have a blast with the savings, enjoy!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Givadogahome View Post
    It is not fearmongering, some tourist hauling their ass down the road on the way out the airport is not advisable, anywhere. People ignoring pretty basic travelling tips is the reason people keep getting robbed, mugged or whatever, it is pretty basic know how and not to, but you go ahead, save yourself 10 bucks and have a blast with the savings, enjoy!
    Hold your breath till I need your advice on travel safety or spending MY money. Like taxi drivers have never robbed tourists.

And, I would like to thank the senders of the PM's with the exact details on getting from the airport for a few dollars instead of 40. Glad to know others do it all the time.
    Last edited by kinostar; 06-02-2012 at 08:19 PM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I posted this topic to find out about fairer alternatives to the "taxi mafia" at the airport in transportation and also in exchange. To all those who took the time to write..either here or with a PM, my heartfelt thanks. I found out the info I sought. If you want to write to tell me to be afraid to walk down maybe the most guarded road in the country in daylight or tell me (as some do) I should worry about getting mugged or raped (or causing it by being around) just to travel at all...no thanks. I heard it all before and suspect many of the warnings reveal more about the nervous giver than the actual danger. Yes, no place is safe even at home. I have always made the right decisions for me and travel to some of the most dangerous cities. I sympathize with...do not blame...crime victims. We each will decide our own personal level of risk in life. But I can tell you that the man in my life would not be in my life if he had fear. Anyway, we have had our say so goodbye here and happy travels!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

To each his own I guess. Some things really are worth a few bucks to me. Like avoiding a long walk through the tropical summer sun when I've got better things to do, or wasting a whole afternoon muddling my way to wherever I'm going trying to explain to every passing moto driver that needs two bits that I'd rather walk. Regardless of whether it's dangerous or not there are alot people out there at the airport trying to scratch up a living, and the fact that their advances are a hassle to you is not going to enter into their consideration. As for your characterization of the expense of the local cab fare, I think it is way off base. A taxi ride from SDQ to the center of Santo Domingo costs less than the same length ride in most cities of the US. Considering that the conditions are more brutal than alot of US cities and the gas and car are more expensive in Santo Domingo, I consider a $30-$40 cab ride not only just, but a bargain.

9. Likes Givadogahome liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not a bargain. It's a ripoff and a gringo tax, plain and simple. If you pick up the phone and call a normal taxi, with gas being expensive as it is, you will be charged at the most 1000 pesos to go back to the airport from the capital. That's a lot less than forty dollars. It really irrelevant comparing what you would pay in the US, Europe, etc. It makes more sense comparing what taxi drivers charge on the same route in the same city going the same distance and with the same expensive gas. When one taxi driver gladly transports you for 800 pesos, and another for the exact same distance charges you forty dollars, then demands a $10 tip on top of it at the end of the trip, it has nothing to do with the cost of fuel!

11. Likes kinostar liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

How I wish that saving ten or twenty bucks on cab fare from an international airport could matter this much to me.

13. Likes Givadogahome, wuarhat liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I was about to leave my thread when I saw this and want to comment. Edm is right, what is more is that the taxi union has prevented us getting what airports all over the world get: bus service. Maybe chickengringo and others have so much money that they can't be bothered saving it (yet, strangely, they are here to snub their noses at those who want to save money) but not everyone has money or is such a bourgeois tourist. Please feel free to put all your extra cash that you can't be bothered to save wherever. Spend it as you please and we will do the same. There are other people in the Dominican Republic who think $40 spent time and time again is a hardship. I know you can't even imagine that. No wonder some locals get the idea tourists can be ripped off cause they have so much they won't miss it. If you don't want a cheap way of getting to the airport, fine. Have Jeeves pick you up. This topic is not for you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast