Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Papa John's opens its first restaurant in the Dominican Republic

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by suarezn View Post
    Great...another import of stores we don't really need in The DR. Pretty soon we'll be joining the US as the country with fattest a$$es / people in the world.

On a different note I wonder when they will start opening Panera Bread, Quiznos, Jimmy Johns, Red Robins, PF Changs?...and could someone get a couple of Starbucks going? Even a copy of a Starbucks ala Mcdowell's (from Eddie Murphy's Coming to America) would be alright...Starblocks anyone?
    "Fat a$$es" are caused by LAZINESS, not food choices.

SD has plenty of gyms for those who truly care about themselves.

-NALs

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NALs View Post

-NALs
    So true. Tell it like it is. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jalencastro View Post
    how much are the large pies at Papa John's in DR? I am curious to find out! LOL
    A few days ago my friend ordered from Papa John's here in NYC. The large was actually a small, so small I could of eaten two pies by myself. It was the "special" with two toppings for $23 dollars. A bit too much for what you actually get.

The smallest slices I've ever seen in my life and their thin crust pizza is abominable. If they are exporting this crap to the DR buena suerte, it won't last 2 weeks.

I've never been to Pizzarelli, but I don't mind the Pizza Hut on El Conde in Santo Domingo.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

-NALs
    Spoken like a true fat @$$...

I was just joking, but really now you don't see a correlation between the availability of these types of establishments and obesity? I read an article a few months back abut how even in China this is becoming a huge problem (no pun intended) with the advent of all the Western franchises into the country.

Now, why don't you post a pic of yourself Nals and let us judge if you're LAZY or not...or have all those years in CT (I think it was where Crisco would always call you out about) taken a toll...

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

As a fitness professional I can confirm - proper diet (not just exercise) is the key to maintaining healthy weight. Exercise only helps, but is not enough I wish it was

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Damn

Quote Originally Posted by Berzin View Post
    A few days ago my friend ordered from Papa John's here in NYC. The large was actually a small, so small I could of eaten two pies by myself. It was the "special" with two toppings for $23 dollars. A bit too much for what you actually get.

The smallest slices I've ever seen in my life and their thin crust pizza is abominable. If they are exporting this crap to the DR buena suerte, it won't last 2 weeks.

I've never been to Pizzarelli, but I don't mind the Pizza Hut on El Conde in Santo Domingo.
    you've got quite an appetite! LOL! but damn a special with 2 toppings for $23? did that come with a bottle of rum?
    I've had Pizzarelli every time i visit DR and it's pretty good. i usually eat the calzones and was rather surprised how good it was. I have also eaten Dominos inside the Sirena in la zona Oriente and it was ok....not great for 500 pesos which was a SUPREME large and 1 liter of soda...i guess i could have eaten 2 of them by myself but i'd have to be STARVING....
    Berzin, best deal in the Bronx is Little Ceasars at the Parkchester train station on the 6 line. it has ALWAYS been $5 for a large regular or pepperoni pizza since the place opened up, you CANT beat that! It's pickup only i dont believe they deliver, and NO minimum order either, if you want 1 pie you pay $5 + tax, nuff said!

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alyonka View Post
    As a fitness professional I can confirm - proper diet (not just exercise) is the key to maintaining healthy weight. Exercise only helps, but is not enough I wish it was
    I know people that eat everything there is under the sun, exercise weekly and still maintain a health weight.

The key is they don't eat anything in excess.

Whomever is planning to live off fast food needs a psychological reassessment more than anything else.

-NALs

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Diet is key, but you cannot blame obesity to Pizza establishments or fast foods choices If you eat fast food in excess day and night of course you will get fat, but if you eat rice in excess instead of fast food you can get fat faster due to carbohydrates.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I know people that eat everything there is under the sun, exercise weekly and still maintain a health weight.

The key is they don't eat anything in excess.

Whomever is planning to live off fast food needs a psychological reassessment more than anything else.

-NALs
    Riiigghttt...Now where's that pic of yours?

Extreme: I don't know so much about the rice connection...I know rice is mostly carbs and as Austin Power's Fat Bastard would say "Carbs are the enemy...", but look at all the Chinese, Japanese (pretty much the whole of east Asia) eat a ton of rice just like Dominicans do and they weren't exactly getting fat until Mcdonalds, Pizza Hut, etc showed up and became popular.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by suarezn View Post
    ...but look at all the Chinese, Japanese (pretty much the whole of east Asia) eat a ton of rice just like Dominicans do and they weren't exactly getting fat until McDonald's, Pizza Hut, etc showed up and became popular.
    Asians do not cook their rice with oil like latinos do.That's the difference. And if you've ever gone into a chinese restaurant during staff meal check out what they eat-they do not eat the most popular dishes they sell.

They have steamed rice, a bit of meat and veggies, while most take-out orders are fried rice, fried chicken wings and plenty of duck/soy sauce.

The average Dominican may not suffer the obesity that North Americans do but their eating habits certainly do contribute to high diabetes/high blood pressure and other lifestyle diseases.

A Dominican grocer once told me, "We come from a tropical island and we fry everything we eat. That's not good". No it is not.
    Last edited by Berzin; 02-23-2009 at 07:41 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast