Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: Seafood safe to eat?

  1. #11
    Gold
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I used mero for my fish and chips and it was very good. I think it was about 100pesos a pound at the local market frozen. Couldn't find malt vinegar in Sosua but heard you could get it in PP...

    Not big on any of the "safe" fish. But I'd stay away from grouper just because they grow very slow, so lots of years for the toxins to build up. Parrot fish is a coral eater so it shouldn't have a lot of toxin in it.

  2. #12
    Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterInBrat View Post
    I ate a lot of mero in the DR but I don't know what fish this was. It is translated as grouper on some sites and as sea bass on others. I'm hoping it was sea bass.
    I think it is supposed to be grouper but I know a lot of places in the DR, especially on the beaches, just serve whatever the harpoon guy brought in that day regardless of what the menus say. So the name could cover a multitude of sins.
    Last edited by Richie; 03-14-2010 at 08:53 PM.

  3. #13
    Gold
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Really? That's great because I can buy Mahi locally. I'll give it a try for my next fish and chips(which btw is awesome). Thx.

    Still kind of confused though:


    and this is also called mero


  4. #14
    Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spanky27312 View Post
    So if you just eat tuna, dolphin and wahoo you will not get it.
    There is a certain type of fish the british pubs in sosua use for there fish and chips---don't remember, but might be frozen fish shipped in.
    why would you eat dolphin man? Don't you know it is a man's best friend....in the water? Its like eating a dog. I feel really sad when people think dolphin is just another fish. It is not. It is a mammal.

  5. #15
    Silver
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,402
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sammytheman View Post
    why would you eat dolphin man? Don't you know it is a man's best friend....in the water? Its like eating a dog. I feel really sad when people think dolphin is just another fish. It is not. It is a mammal.

    Dolphin fish is not really Dolphin. It is Dolphin fish - a fish, not a mammal. A Dolphin is a mammal and I have never seen people eat it in polite company although I can see where the confusion might come in.
    Mahi-mahi, I believe - at least in the pacific islands that what they call it.

    Where do you stand on Dogfish?

  6. #16
    Silver
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,402
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sammytheman View Post
    why would you eat dolphin man? Don't you know it is a man's best friend....in the water? Its like eating a dog. I feel really sad when people think dolphin is just another fish. It is not. It is a mammal.

    And for that matter catfish and sea horses....

  7. #17
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16,081
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pedrochemical View Post

    Where do you stand on Dogfish?
    That is one mean ugly and angry fish for sure.

    We eat parrot fish(cotorra), tilapia, basa and mero and have never gotten sick.

  8. #18
    Silver
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,402
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    That is one mean ugly and angry fish for sure.

    We eat parrot fish(cotorra), tilapia, basa and mero and have never gotten sick.

    In London many years ago they had difficulty in finding Cod, Haddock and Hake - the usual ingredients for Fish & Chips.
    They started using Dogfish but who would want to eat that?
    So they renamed it Rock Salmon- yum!
    (Well anything battered and deep fried tastes good to an Englishman - mars bars and fully loaded kebabs for example )

    Some days fishing of the south coast of England they are all you will catch.
    Slippery buggers they are too.....always twisting and turning and messing up your line......

  9. #19
    Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    177
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Follow the fisherman with there daily catches off the puente flotante. Wherever they go to hawk their fresh fish stay away.

  10. #20
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    658
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Safe Seafood? Helps if you understand WHAT you're really eating...

    Mahi Mahi = El dorado = "dolphin"...
    Bottle nose porpoise is sometimes called a dolphin, but illegal to kill and eat in most of the world (except like China & Japan, where they eat anything)

    MERO...in the science books they show a sea bass from the Southern Hemisphere...in the DR, MERO is usually explained as "grouper" on the menu, but they feed you imported fresh water mudsucking catfish called Basa or Tre'...sometimes they will feed you Tilapia and call it grouper. (especially when it's fried)

    You can't get ciguatera from Basa, Tre', or Tilapia as ciguatera is only found in saltwater fish....also these fish have very low nutritional value as they are low in the good Omega-3s and high in "bad fat"...they are "farm raised **** eaters" grown in near shore waters subjected to high nutrient runoff.....yum-yum

    It's very hard to tell what you're being served unless you're experienced as a fisherman, cook or seafood expert. (or caught it yourself) These ASIAN farm fish are being substituted around the world and even sold by distributors in mismarked boxes from China (go figure) There was a study done in Florida EEUU where restaurant fish was DNA tested for being grouper...most restaurants FAILED the test and were caught substituting with "Oriental Mudfish". Hooters had to rename their fish sandwich "Groupers Cousin"....as an FYI, Gulf caught grouper is $16USD per pound on Florida's Gulf coast.

    If it's 100 pesos a pound, it's not deep water strawberry or black grouper. Real grouper is a thick (1" or better fillet), the flesh is white after cooking and flakes in large natural segments. Some of the DR locals also call a cousin to the grouper (rock fish) MERO...they have similar markings but are smaller and found on the inner reefs, usually weigh about 2 lbs on average.

    PARROT FISH...absolutely the most dangerous fish to eat...WHY?...Ciguatera. Parrot Fish are "coral eaters"...that is they crunch the coral to eat the living coral animal that gives the colors to the rock....PARROT FISH are the most prolific of all the "poisoned" fish you can eat.... Ciguatera starts in the coral and enters the food chain when fish eat each other...hence why, snappers, groupers, barracuda, rock fish, yellow tail etc have the reputation.....reef fish.

    Once you've had ciguatera, it never really "leaves" your body....in severe cases symptoms persist for years. In others, simply eating the same specie of fish has brought back symptoms for sufferers.....

    Hope this helps...I've spent a good part of my life living on, and playing in the sea...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •