Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How does Boca Chica Compare to the North Coast

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by italnstallion99 View Post
    It looks like I am going to have to weigh my options and consider the pro's and con's on weather I stay in Boca Chica or Juan Dolio. It seems to be that Juan Dolio may be a better option, but more pricey. Is there public transportation between Juan Dolio and Boca Chica so I can at least get the best of both worlds while staying in one area? I don't want to waste a ton of money to taxi's if I can help it. I also mentioned I may want to check out Santo Domingo. Is there anything over in SD worth seeing? Can I take public transportation from BC OR JD over to SD? I've heard good things about the metro bus but not sure if that would work for me.

IMO, just stay in Boca Chica.....It's not THAT bad.....

Just make sure your "common sense" has been recently calibrated, master the phrase "No gracious"....and you should have a grand old time.

Catch BC on a nice day.....(especially on the beach) with the music playn, people bothering you, tryn to sell you S--T....Chicas propositioning you every 15 min.

IT CAN BE QUITE EXHILARATING......

Pretty cool VIDS here.....(I made the second one, with The Beach Boys music)) the hotel they're showing is the El Candil, (in the beginning of the first Vid)....I've stayed here a few times, good place, no probs.....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hTr_IjVt-TY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gj6pbKO2tzg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But I now stay at the Costalunga, right around the corner.

HOME

You would be fine at both hotels, and they are priced right.

You really don't wanna spend your precious "Vacation time" going back and forth on a bus.....(or maybe you do?)

It's not perfect in BC, but it CAN be pretty good......

Have a great time!!!!
    Last edited by rice&beans; 07-08-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

SD has some interesting architecture, sites of historical importance and a very nice Botanical Garden. Some great restaurants too.

IMO, Juan Dolio has everything you'd need w/o going to Boca Chica, but you'll just have to weigh your options.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

If you do go to Juan Dolio and do not want to experiecne the same as explained earlier about long check-in and out at Hamaca-I would avoid the Barcelo Capella. I have gone there a half dozen times over the years. Service is horrible and it is a total locals hangout and all that comes with that. AI Food, always horrible, especially on weekends-Rooms, ****ty A/C usually and bugs and and and....

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheap and laid back in Juan Dolio- Plaza Real. Very nice Italian guy owned it when I was there exactly one year ago.

Only glitch was that their machine for processing Visa was down so I gave him cash.

Other than that, perfect. Not luxury but pleasant. Beautiful mature plantings in the courtyard. Cross the street to beach access. A nice Spanish restaurant with acceptable paella a short walk away. Many of the rooms have kitchens too. Not fancy, but clean and friendly.
    Last edited by pollogringo; 07-08-2012 at 01:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Boca Chica = Coney Island

Sos˙a/North Shore = Ft. Lauderdale/Miami Beach/Jones Beach (if it hasn't changed too much since I was there 60 years ago!!).

Boca Chica = If you have to go there

North Coast = You want to go there

Boca Chica = pretty classless

Some Places on North Shore = lots of class and fantastic people

Just my take....

HB

Moderator DR1.com

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Expat13 View Post
    If you do go to Juan Dolio and do not want to experiecne the same as explained earlier about long check-in and out at Hamaca-I would avoid the Barcelo Capella. I have gone there a half dozen times over the years. Service is horrible and it is a total locals hangout and all that comes with that. AI Food, always horrible, especially on weekends-Rooms, ****ty A/C usually and bugs and and and....
    I think I would have given up after the first five times!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drstock View Post
    I think I would have given up after the first five times!
    Yes a glutten for punishment. Those last minute AI weekend getaways, always feeling you may get lucky and things get better.NOT!!!
    Juan Dolio being so close to SD, its the no brainer when wanting an overnighter and beach trip without long drive. ****ty part is Juan Dolio does not have a pallatable AI anywhere. Now its pretty clear that the trips will have to be Bayahibe La Romana. Such a waste that with all they development JD could not present a 3.5-4 star hotel that is tourist friendly.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Boca Chica is fun once. If you are Italian you will like it. Danancy rest on the beach does great Italian food. Theres a guy on Duarte who makes fresh sfoigatella every morning. Lots of expat Italians if you like to play cards. Batey is great for finding females. (mostly pay for play)
    Cons the street hustlers and vendors are relentless. I would go with Juan Dolio if you arent going to the North Coast.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by italnstallion99 View Post
    It looks like I am going to have to weigh my options and consider the pro's and con's on weather I stay in Boca Chica or Juan Dolio. It seems to be that Juan Dolio may be a better option, but more pricey. Is there public transportation between Juan Dolio and Boca Chica so I can at least get the best of both worlds while staying in one area? I don't want to waste a ton of money to taxi's if I can help it. I also mentioned I may want to check out Santo Domingo. Is there anything over in SD worth seeing? Can I take public transportation from BC OR JD over to SD? I've heard good things about the metro bus but not sure if that would work for me.
    i will try to answer some of your questions beginning with where to stay. as frank said, the rolling stone is an option (good rates and owned by lawrence who also owns ths boat house and where many americans go) and my favorite, the zapata which is at the opposite end of the beach and is family owned and run. if you stay there, get a room across from the tiki bar they are better then the main hotel. in the evening when it begins to get dark, the main street is closed off to cars and the bars and restaurants set up tables and chairs in the street where you can sit and drink or eat. you will have visitors asking for you to buy them a drink but after you have said no several times, you wont be bothered anymore. as far as public transportation is concerned it is so easy. if you want to go into santo domingo, just walk to the park and you will see a church and on the street where the church is, is where the guagua's stop. just get on and you will be taken to andres where you change and you are on your way. the cost is 70 pesos and it will take about an hour. get off at the last stop PARQUE INDEPENDENCIA and walk around the corner to EL CONDE. no cars allowed and as you walk to the opposite end you will pass stores, a few bars and a few places to eat. at the end of el conde you will find a park with historical buildings and close by is plaza espana with places to eats and columbuses house if you want to explore. get the bus back to boca where you got off ( isla gas station) if you want to go yo juan dolio, get on the guagua at the park also but when you get up to the auto pista (the main highway and shell gas station on the left)get off and wait on the corner for another guagua going to juan dolio (not sure of their cost) if you have any other questions just ask, as i know boca like the back of my hand.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Boca chica for fun and its brand of night life...beach and vibe even with intermodel cranes a mile away is pretty enough. Water is beautiful except on santo domingo beach days (sat and sun) when the barrios favor boca chica and the sand gets kicked up. After a lazy day My wife and I enjoy having a rum or beer at a duarte colmado and critiquing the chicas clothes and their choices in wrinkly euro dudes/clients/sugardaddies...not that we are any better...she is dominican and i am a gringo...married without wrinkles...yet. If anything like many dominicans...well dressed at times colorful, ladies abound.

Juan Dolio much more open ocean feeling beach. Costa carib is cheap with passable food (last july granted). Not sure there is any nightlife in juan dolio. I would like to be told where it is in case I go again.

Sosua....no se. Best night life I am told. My limited 3 daytime hours there left me with the impression the whores and pan handlers were much more in your face than boca chica. In fact bc seemed mellow compared to the "gringo buy from me bs" on sosua beach. But then again in bc folks know now I am a cheap as$ and pass us by often.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast