Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gifts to bring for locals

Post Thanks / Like

Question Gifts to bring for locals

I would like to bring some gifts for the local residents. Any suggestions?

Also, the reservation clerk at our hotel has been extremely helpful and I would like to bring her something that she would not normally be able to readily get in the DR. She is 19 years old.

Any suggestions.

Thanks so much.
    Judy

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Judy,
    Can you further expand on where you'll be vacationing and who it is you would like to bring gifts for?
    If you'll be in the Santo Domingo area, it's hard to suggest a gift, as the people in the area have access to almost anything they want (so long as they can afford it).
    If you have any desire to bring gifts for local children, Outback Safari (a local excursion company) has a wonderful charitable program (as well as great tour of the country-side)!! They accept gifts, school supplies, and money for the schools/school children of the country-side. As a former employee of the company, I can personally vouch for the fact that all donations are in-fact delivered to the children, and that the children of the country-side are by far the neediest!! Items such as pencils, markers, brightly colored art paper, toys, etc., are all greatly appreciated (candy and food, are usually frowned upon). This is the Web site link for Outback Safari (if your interested in finding out more about their program):
    http://www.outbacksafari.com.do/

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello Judy

For the kids of friends and family, Candy!
    You know those bags with the Fun Size, candy bars( we used to buy them to give out at Halloween). The younger kids LOVE Chocolate Candy !

For adults, if they drink, Johnny Walker Red, is thought of very well as a gift. Get that at the Duty Free Shop, in the Airport on your way out of the States.

If not good with that.
    VCR Tapes of some New Releases. I buy the previously viewed one's at Block Buster Video, back home ( you get tons of them for the price of a few new ones). Yes in English, I can never bring enough of those, when I make my trips.

For the 19 year old ?????
    A Visa to the U.S.-----I'm just kidding. But you could bring me, 1 pound of $ 100. dollar bills.

It's Friday, 4pm time to go home.

Good Luck on your trip. And have Fun!!!

Tim H.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

A very nice gift in the land of power outages, for anyone except children, is LED keychain flashlights.

Very efficient, even regulated for uniform brightness, they last as long as 50 hours on the already installed camera type batteries.

Some of them come with neck strings and are waterproof for accidental dunking.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks to you all...

Wow! What a great board. Thanks everyone for your quick response. It is greatly appreciated.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are going to give the kids candy, please also give each child a voucher for approximately $100US payable to the dentist that they likely won't be able to get to, but will desperately need!

Post Thanks / Like

Default No Candy....

Not to worry. I would never, ever bring candy to the children. It's bad enough getting affordable dentistry here!

I plan on bringing pencils and sharpener, crayons and colouring books and whatever else looks great at the Dollar Store!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Great ideas! We took glow-in-the-dark stickers from the dollar store. The kids went wild for them!!

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
    Post Thanks / Like

If it's for a 19 year old girl, I say bring music that is popular here, a mixed tape, with the latest hip hop, reggae, r&b, rock. They love new music from the U.S or Canada of any type. Anything like makeup and nail polish is also cool. Try a nice journal and pens too. You always need writing paper!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Judy,
    Some 2 months ago we had a thread on just this subject - I think MommaC started it - & there were numerous "Packages" suggested. Try the archives for it - I am sure you will find it enlightening!!
    My suggestion for the reception clerk who has been helping you is some Reasonably good Perfume!! Normally goes down a treat with those we give it to. For the children, try colouring books & pencils!! PLEASE try to get to the recipients yourself - see their smiles of appreciation yourself & it will warm your heart greatly!!! If you are coming to the Puerto Plata area, let me know & I will take you to a barrio where these things are greatly in need AND appreciated!! - Grahame.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast