Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I buy an Orange sim card online?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can I buy an Orange sim card online?

I am planning to travel to the Dominican Republic in February and I wanted to know if anyone knew of a place where I could purchase a sim card online before I go. Last time I was there I came home with a $1500 phone bill and I'm looking to aviod that this time.......

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stuwars View Post
    I am planning to travel to the Dominican Republic in February and I wanted to know if anyone knew of a place where I could purchase a sim card online before I go. Last time I was there I came home with a $1500 phone bill and I'm looking to aviod that this time.......
    Not sure about getting one online ahead of time, but there are a zillion places to buy them once you arrive, and they are basically free after you subtract the value of the minutes they come with. Just go to a shop with an Orange sign with your phone, passport and a couple of hundred pesos and they will have you up and calling in 15 minutes or so.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as I'm aware, you cannot do it online.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

You cannot do it online. Need a passport or cedula to get one.

There is one cheaper option for calls to the USA, which is VIVA. It has 1 second billing on international and domestic calls (Orange has 1 second billing only on domestic calls) and is about 50% cheaper than Orange.

It costs about 11 pesos to call USA on Orange prepaid, it costs 5.50 pesos to call USA on VIVA prepaid.

Orange is easy to spot, orange-colored shops. VIVA has green-colored shops and the number of shops is as plentiful as Orange's.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Make sure phone is unlocked

Before you go there and get a SIM card you need to make sure your phone is unlocked to any network which most phones are not. The carrier generally has it locked to their network only and it takes them a couple of days to provide you the unlock information.

I ran into that problem before when I went to Jamaica with my local SIM card I purchased. My phone was locked to AT&T network and could not use the other SIM card. They did not get me the code until after I got back which was useless. Once it is unlocked it is unlocked forever and you never have to do that again.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I just got back from Sosua and had to get a SIM card form Orange while I was down there. It cost 350 pesos to activate it and then they also includes some time on your phone. Very easy to do and only took a few minutes.

And like the others have said....make sure your phone is unlocked.

Cheers
    Sammy

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Most phones can be unlocked for RD$200 at a phone repair shop in 5 minutes. Claro or Orange will not unlock a phone.
    It is just easier to arrive with an unlocked phone.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I was told by Orange at Janet's supermarket in Cabarate last week that I was allowed only two SIM cards on my passport number????
    When I buy one here and return to the UK then the SIM card expires and I need to buy a new one next time - but will there be a next time?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by morlandg View Post
    I was told by Orange at Janet's supermarket in Cabarate last week that I was allowed only two SIM cards on my passport number????
    When I buy one here and return to the UK then the SIM card expires and I need to buy a new one next time - but will there be a next time?
    you can have only 2 active numbers,so as soon they expire (which is after 3 month the last calling card expired) the number will be deleted from the system giving you the opportunity to activate a new phone number in the future.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by santiago2008 View Post
    you can have only 2 active numbers,so as soon they expire (which is after 3 month the last calling card expired) the number will be deleted from the system giving you the opportunity to activate a new phone number in the future.
    Now that makes more sense! So in the 3 months after the calling card has expired but before the number has been removed from the system, can I reactivate the number?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast