Thread: Hurricanes or tropical storms impact tourism?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hurricanes or tropical storms impact tourism?

[FONT="Verdana"]Is there an analysis or any report showing the impact of hurricanes or tropical storms affecting tourism in the Dominican Republic. Also when was the last time a hurricanes or tropical storms directly impacted the Dominican Republic.[/FONT]

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Last season we had two severe tropical storms (Noel in October; Olga in December) and one hurricane (Dean in August) which ended up only causing minor damage.

Storms and hurricanes rarely affect tourist areas and when they do the disruption tends to be limited to heavy rain keeping people indoors, and the effects only last a few days.

The main victims are people in poor-quality dwellings who live in vulnerable areas - riverbanks and flood plains - worlds away from the tourist sector.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there an agency that creates statistical analyst reports on this affect?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

hi,
    can anyone tell me what the weather is like generally in October. We have only had our place in Sosua for a few months and are considering returning in October. I expect its lovely there now as well!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Opulent1 View Post
    [FONT="Verdana"]Is there an analysis or any report showing the impact of hurricanes or tropical storms affecting tourism in the Dominican Republic. Also when was the last time a hurricanes or tropical storms directly impacted the Dominican Republic.[/FONT]
    The answers to my question was found at: DR1 - Hurricanes

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

For a general overview on weather in the DR, see http://www.dr1.com/forums/weather-be...-faq-page.html

October is usually a good weather month -- not too hot. It should be lovely, even though it may rain, with the big plus that air fares in October are usually some of the better ones.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to the DR for 4 weeks in October. I looked up the weather info that Planner puts on the DR1. She does the weather as it actually happens in PP. Last year October was very nice. Not too hot and not too rainy.