Official holidays 2006
- Sunday, 1 January: New Yearís Day.
- Saturday, 21 January: Our Lady of Altagracia Day.
- Monday, 27 February: Independence Day.
- Monday, 1 May: Labor Day.
- Wednesday, 16 August: Restoration Day.
- Monday, 6 November: Constitution Day.
- Monday, 25 December: Christmas Day.
The following holidays will be celebrated on the closest Monday to the actual date:
- Friday, 6 January: Epiphany Day. To be celebrated on Monday, 9 January.
- Thursday, 26 January: Duarte Day. To be celebrated on Monday, 30 January.
Rotating days as per the Roman Catholic Church calendar:
- Friday, 14 April: Good Friday.
- Thursday, 15 June. Corpus Christi Day.
Not a holiday, but observed by many:
- Wednesday, 26 April. National Secretary Day.
- Wednesday afternoon and Thursday before Good Friday (12-14 April).
- Sunday, 28 May. Motherís Day. Last Sunday in May.
- Sunday, 30 July. Fatherís Day. Last Sunday in July.
- Sunday, 24 December. Christmas Day Eve.
- Sunday, 31 December. New Yearís Eve (especially in the afternoon).
Note that December is for Dominicans, what August is
for Europeans. Do not expect to get anything major done in December. Too many parties going on.
Long weekends in 2006 (with Mondayís falling on a holiday):
- 7, 8, 9 January: Epiphany Day long weekend. Note the
6th isnít a holiday, but many will add it to the long weekend.
- 25, 26, 27 February: Independence Day long weekend.
- 14, 15, 16 April: Easter long weekend. School is out from Monday, 10 April.
- 29, 30 April & 1 May: Labor Day long weekend.
- 4, 5, 6 November: Constitution Day long weekend.
- 23, 24, 25 December: Christmas Day long weekend.
- 30, 31 December 2006 / 1 January 2007: New Yearís long weekend.