Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Sending a package through USPS to Santo Domingo

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Sending a package through USPS to Santo Domingo

    Hey guys,

    I have a package I'm trying to send to family but the layout of the address in Dominican Republic is much different than here in the U.S.

    I'm sending this through USPS since FEDEX and UPS want to charge over $500 for shipping cost.

    The Customs form has this layout to fill out the address:

    To Addressee
    Last Name
    First Name
    Middle Initial


    Address (Number, Street, Suite, Apartment, P.O. Box)
    Postcode
    City
    State/Province
    Country

    For the address I was given:
    #9 Villa Aura, Calle 19, Esquina 9
    Santo Domingo Este, Dominican Republic
    10305

    But the person also says that her house number is #6

    Google Maps doesn't even show that the address exists.

    Also I've never heard of an address including, "street corner" in this case, "Street corner 9".

    I'd like to send this out but I want to make sure it arrives, my grandmother never had a problem sending out packages, but unfortunately she past away so I have no real assurance that this will arrive without being abandoned.

  2. #2
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    11,859
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Use a courier service. The mails are very risky, although I hear they work better in Santo Domingo than in the rest of the DR.

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    Use a courier service. The mails are very risky, although I hear they work better in Santo Domingo than in the rest of the DR.

    Well that's the thing.. my family says that using USPS is fine when sending to populated locations like Santo Domingo.

    I can't afford $500+ on shipping for something that weighs less than 6lbs and was a grand total of $80. I cannot justify the price gouging.

  4. #4
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,359
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If they or you know an American with a EPS or BM account you could ship it to them via Miami.
    Much, much, much cheaper.



    "R-239"

  5. #5
    Silver
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2,979
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by illmortalized View Post
    Hey guys,

    I have a package I'm trying to send to family but the layout of the address in Dominican Republic is much different than here in the U.S.

    I'm sending this through USPS since FEDEX and UPS want to charge over $500 for shipping cost.

    The Customs form has this layout to fill out the address:

    To Addressee
    Last Name
    First Name
    Middle Initial


    Address (Number, Street, Suite, Apartment, P.O. Box)
    Postcode
    City
    State/Province
    Country

    For the address I was given:
    #9 Villa Aura, Calle 19, Esquina 9
    Santo Domingo Este, Dominican Republic
    10305

    But the person also says that her house number is #6

    Google Maps doesn't even show that the address exists.

    Also I've never heard of an address including, "street corner" in this case, "Street corner 9".

    I'd like to send this out but I want to make sure it arrives, my grandmother never had a problem sending out packages, but unfortunately she past away so I have no real assurance that this will arrive without being abandoned.
    Could it be Santo Domingo Oeste? There is a Villa Aura in Santo Domingo Oeste, it has a cable 19, but it doesn't make corner with calle 9 (close though). Type Villa Aura in Google maps and you will see it.

    You should be fine putting all the address information at Street (confirming if its #6 or #9) and as city use Santo Domingo Oeste and I think santo Domingo as province.

    The best option though would be sending it to an eps address of someone. If you are Miami based I could help you out, send me a pm in that case.

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post
    Could it be Santo Domingo Oeste? There is a Villa Aura in Santo Domingo Oeste, it has a cable 19, but it doesn't make corner with calle 9 (close though). Type Villa Aura in Google maps and you will see it.

    You should be fine putting all the address information at Street (confirming if its #6 or #9) and as city use Santo Domingo Oeste and I think santo Domingo as province.

    The best option though would be sending it to an eps address of someone. If you are Miami based I could help you out, send me a pm in that case.

    Ok I've figured it out. I was given a postal code of East Santo Domingo, instead of West, which is 10901.
    Calle 19 is correct, it's a street in Villa Aura
    Casa #6 is also correct, I'm guessing this is possibly a small community or apartments?
    Esquina #9 doesn't exist and I've confirmed that with my family member.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •