Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Junot Diaz book gets good reviews

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Junot Diaz book gets good reviews

New York Times Book critic Michiko Kakutani has given Junot Diaz's new book:

"Junot Díaz’s “Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao” is a wondrous, not-so-brief first novel that is so original it can only be described as Mario Vargas Llosa meets “Star Trek” meets David Foster Wallace meets Kanye West. It is funny, street-smart and keenly observed, and it unfolds from a comic portrait of a second-generation Dominican geek into a harrowing meditation on public and private history and the burdens of familial history. An extraordinarily vibrant book that’s fueled by adrenaline-powered prose, it’s confidently steered through several decades of history by a madcap, magpie voice that’s equally at home talking about Tolkien and Trujillo, anime movies and ancient Dominican curses, sexual shenanigans at Rutgers University and secret police raids in Santo Domingo."

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default First Novel In English?

I recently read a novel in Spanish by Junot Diaz titled "Negocios" (Vintage Español 1997 - a very hip and tragicomic look at his childhood in DR and teen years in New Jersey woven in with his abandonment by a father who lit out for the Nueva Yol and never returned. I'm sure it's the same guy (there's a picture on the back cover). Well worth reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores View Post
    New York Times Book critic Michiko Kakutani has given Junot Diaz's new book:

"Junot Díaz’s “Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao” is a wondrous, not-so-brief first novel that is so original it can only be described as Mario Vargas Llosa meets “Star Trek” meets David Foster Wallace meets Kanye West. It is funny, street-smart and keenly observed, and it unfolds from a comic portrait of a second-generation Dominican geek into a harrowing meditation on public and private history and the burdens of familial history. An extraordinarily vibrant book that’s fueled by adrenaline-powered prose, it’s confidently steered through several decades of history by a madcap, magpie voice that’s equally at home talking about Tolkien and Trujillo, anime movies and ancient Dominican curses, sexual shenanigans at Rutgers University and secret police raids in Santo Domingo."

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

His first book, written in English, published in 1997 or so, is called "Drown". It is a collection of linked short stories. Maybe 'Negocios' was its Spanish title?

I loved "Drown" and really look forward to reading this one.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya View Post
    His first book, written in English, published in 1997 or so, is called "Drown". It is a collection of linked short stories. Maybe 'Negocios' was its Spanish title?

I loved "Drown" and really look forward to reading this one.
    I checked the copyright page and you are exactly correct, Chiri. The English title is "Drown".

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Lo ma' seguro e que los gringos del foro van a decir...ehh...eso va se un fracaso.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Funnyyale26 View Post
    Lo ma' seguro e que los gringos del foro van a decir...ehh...eso va se un fracaso.
    What in the world leads you to believe that....anyway the following is a good article about him and the new book.

PACKETONLINE News Classifieds Entertainment Business - Princeton and Central New Jersey - Cursed by the Fukú

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Como que por que? ESTOY HABLANDO DE LOS FORISTAS GRINGUITOS, NO de la prensa norteamericana. Oi tu no lee to' lo que dicen ellos de nuestra cultura...que si nuestra comida, que si nuestras pinturas/ artesania es de mala calidad, que si 'eto, que si lo otro...

Yo entiendo que la comida de RD sea mala pa' ello pero algunas veces me parece que esa gente goza de denigrar nuestra cultura.
    __________________________________________________ __
    BACK TO the main topic...yes, I read drown when I was in 10th grade back in the late 90's but I can't remember what was it about. At the time, I was starting to learn english and it was a school assignment...so I didn't pay too much attention ...Should read it again and get familiarized w/ his books.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Funnyyale26 View Post
    Como que por que? ESTOY HABLANDO DE LOS FORISTAS GRINGUITOS, NO de la prensa norteamericana. Oi tu no lee to' lo que dicen ellos de nuestra cultura...que si nuestra comida, que si nuestras pinturas/ artesania es de mala calidad, que si 'eto, que si lo otro...

Yo entiendo que la comida de RD sea mala pa' ello pero algunas veces me parece que esa gente goza de denigrar nuestra cultura.
    Not ALL of us, buddy. Not all of us.

This man is dedicated - the book was 10 years in the making & in places 50 rewrites............!
    Interview with Junot Diaz here:
    OTHER VOICES

It's a scary time for Latin American immigrants, and writer Junot Diaz feels the pressure to help

Books: A curse on amor

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao | Book Review | Entertainment Weekly

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lambada View Post
    Not ALL of us, buddy. Not all of us.

This man is dedicated - the book was 10 years in the making & in places 50 rewrites............!
    Interview with Junot Diaz here:
    OTHER VOICES

It's a scary time for Latin American immigrants, and writer Junot Diaz feels the pressure to help

Books: A curse on amor

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao | Book Review | Entertainment Weekly
    I'm so glad a GRINGA wrote this.
    Last edited by A.Hidalgo; 09-04-2007 at 06:44 PM.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Book Reading

Posted on the Domincan Yahoo site:

Sept 6 Junot Diaz NYC new novel reading
    Posted by: "Michele Wucker" michele@wucker.com wuckerm
    Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:11 am (PST)
    *Junot Diaz* (author of The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao):
    Barnes & Noble/Union Square
    Thursday, September 6, 7:00 PM
    33 E 17th St., New York, NY, 10003
    More info: http://booktour. com/author/ junot_diaz