Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Motherland Spain

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

do americans call england the motherland

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

DR is what it is because of Spain, what Spain did to the habitants of the island back in those days they didn't do to the Dominicans or not even to the ancestors of the Dominicans, they did that to the original habitants of the island. As a consequence the current Dominican nation and culture could emerge. Saying the Dominicans should blame Spaniards for anything is almost like saying the current Americans should blame the English for doing what they did to the Indians.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

About this "motherland" issue, I've heard other Latin American people, not only Dominicans, refer to Spain as "La madre Patria" just as they would refer to Puerto Rico as " La Isla del Encanto" or "The land of Enchantment", so I can see that for some people it's just a nickname or colorful reference name. I also remember seeing the term in some tourism ad, something like "Vamos para la Madre Partria". So, for some It's just a nickname!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post
    DR is what it is because of Spain, what Spain did to the habitants of the island back in those days they didn't do to the Dominicans or not even to the ancestors of the Dominicans, they did that to the original habitants of the island. As a consequence the current Dominican nation and culture could emerge. Saying the Dominicans should blame Spaniards for anything is almost like saying the current Americans should blame the English for doing what they did to the Indians.

In both countries, aside from the displacement of aboriginal peoples, the greatest tragedy is the slavery that was practiced. Dark-skinned Dominicans are the children of slaves. Their ancestors were not willing partners with the Spanish. Bygones be bygones, but let's not whitewash history.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pollogringo View Post
    In both countries, aside from the displacement of aboriginal peoples, the greatest tragedy is the slavery that was practiced. Dark-skinned Dominicans are the children of slaves. Their ancestors were not willing partners with the Spanish. Bygones be bygones, but let's not whitewash history.
    Not entirely accurate statement. Many of the blacks in the DR were free men many generations ago, so descendants of slaves would be more accurate. Intermarriage amongst Black, white, and Indian was common, thus the Mulattos. Unless you were there you don't know who was willing or not. No doubt there was plenty of rape, but I'm sure there were plenty of consensual couplings.

6. Likes MerengueDutchie liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I can explain this in two words " STOCKHOLM SYNDROME"

8. Likes pollogringo liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    Not entirely accurate statement. Many of the blacks in the DR were free men many generations ago, so descendants of slaves would be more accurate. Intermarriage amongst Black, white, and Indian was common, thus the Mulattos. Unless you were there you don't know who was willing or not. No doubt there was plenty of rape, but I'm sure there were plenty of consensual couplings.
    The willingness to participate in sexual union was not what I was referring to. I'm very well-versed in the history of Hispaniola. The fact remains that dark-skinned Dominicans are the children/descendants of slaves. To rewrite history to say that their forebears were willing partners in the formation of the nation is dishonest at best and at worst repugnant.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMB773 View Post
    I can explain this in two words " STOCKHOLM SYNDROME"
    You are correct, sir.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pollogringo View Post
    You are correct, sir.
    This is how Spain was able to CONTROL some many countries at that time, it was not their guns, armies, swords etc. The best weapon Spain had an their arsenal was the ability to BRAINWASH Dominicans. Why kill them and turn them into HEROS when BRAINWASHING last FOREVER. Dominicans will always look up to the KINGDOM OF SPAIN, not the Republic of Spain, but the KINGDOM OF SPAIN their official name.

BTW Please STOP calling it the Motherland call Spain what it has TAUGHT over the hundreds of years. Do not let that brainwashing go to waste call Spain "the Kingdom of Spain", Why do some of you think it still carries this as their official name.
    Last edited by JMB773; 06-23-2012 at 10:06 AM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

what a whole lot of crap

read a couple of books for God's shake

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast