Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Motherland Spain

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Motherland Spain

Mi gente, I need some insight/clarity on this issue.

I was just in DR last weekend and was chatting with some people at a bar that was watching the Eurocup games. I asked what team they was rooting for, all the DR's said Spain, I asked why, the majority responded because it is the "Motherland".

Its ironic to me how could some Latin Americans still be proud to proclaim their alliance to a country that brought only disease, theft, and misery to this region. How fast do we forget history! (yes, I know it was no picnic living in this region before the Spaniards got there)

I don't have nothing personal against Spain, but to be a fan for the simple reason of calling it the "Motherland" seems odd to me.

How say you????

P.S. Go Germany!!! (no I am not German)

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, there are even Americans who cheer for Manchester United...go figure.

Of course, possibly, since all of this misery occurred hundreds of years ago the folks cheering these teams have forgiven.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Because their culture and bloodlines are Spanish, perhaps not totally but because Spanish is the language it is what they identify with. Remember it's about them not you.

4. Likes kampinge liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Bob,

I agree that most DR can identify with the Spanish language, but I would disagree with the culture. Dr's are a mixed bag of cultures, not all deriving from Spain. Most of the people that I spoke to that used the Motherland excuse were black or mulato.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Here we go again!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

To be sure, there are some very well-read and insightful men and women in RD. And then there are the sheep. Same as th US or anywhere else I suppose. But in RD, more than most places I've been, individuality is rare. People tend to like whatever everyone likes without considering why on any deeper level.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ducadista View Post
    Bob,

I agree that most DR can identify with the Spanish language, but I would disagree with the culture. Dr's are a mixed bag of cultures, not all deriving from Spain. Most of the people that I spoke to that used the Motherland excuse were black or mulato.
    Whats a Mulatto - someone of mixed blood, and in the DR that is Spanish and something else, usually African. The person who lives inside the skin decides what culture they want to identify with, not some outside observer.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ducadista View Post
    Mi gente, I need some insight/clarity on this issue.

I was just in DR last weekend and was chatting with some people at a bar that was watching the Eurocup games. I asked what team they was rooting for, all the DR's said Spain, I asked why, the majority responded because it is the "Motherland".

Its ironic to me how could some Latin Americans still be proud to proclaim their alliance to a country that brought only disease, theft, and misery to this region. How fast do we forget history! (yes, I know it was no picnic living in this region before the Spaniards got there)

I don't have nothing personal against Spain, but to be a fan for the simple reason of calling it the "Motherland" seems odd to me.

How say you????

P.S. Go Germany!!! (no I am not German)
    Ducadista; Spain brought ONLY theft, disease and misery???
    Spain founded (still in existence) the first christian church and first city in Continental U.S.
    Spain's discoveries of the new world opened the door for other countries (england) to expand.
    Spain was first with expedition around the globe (Magallanes)
    And many other positive accomplishments.

10. Likes MerengueDutchie, mofongoloco liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Spain founded (still in existence) the first christian church
    You're listing this as an accomplishment?

12. Likes Aguaita29, windeguy liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure these weren't Spaniards? There are a lot of them in The DR and of course to them Spain is their motherland. Dominicans don't typically watch soccer.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast