Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holy Week / Semana Santa 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Holy Week / Semana Santa 2010

Hi! I just booked a vacation at an all inclusive resort in Punta Cana from Sunday, March 28th until Friday, April 2nd. I was just informed that I will be staying in the Dominican Republic during Holy Week and that with this there is a motorsports ban for the week. I have looked at various sources trying to find a concrete answer about the details to this ban. Some say that it is only Thursday - Sunday, others say it lasts the entire week. Also, some note that it includes snorkeling while others say that snorkeling is excluded from the ban. Could someone please help me and give me better details about this. I am so excited to be visiting but was looking forward to snorkeling and other watersports for the time I was there. Thank you so much!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

The reason for confusion might be that it can change from year to year and government to government.

However - it tends to be - Thursday thru Sunday and includes motorized water sports. You should be fine to snorkel.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default when is holy week semana santa

Can anyone confirm the dates of Holy week when most people take off from work.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default semana santa

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsaym View Post
    Hi! I just booked a vacation at an all inclusive resort in Punta Cana from Sunday, March 28th until Friday, April 2nd. I was just informed that I will be staying in the Dominican Republic during Holy Week and that with this there is a motorsports ban for the week. I have looked at various sources trying to find a concrete answer about the details to this ban. Some say that it is only Thursday - Sunday, others say it lasts the entire week. Also, some note that it includes snorkeling while others say that snorkeling is excluded from the ban. Could someone please help me and give me better details about this. I am so excited to be visiting but was looking forward to snorkeling and other watersports for the time I was there. Thank you so much!
    Re: Holy Week in DR
    Reply #18 on Feb 11, 2008, 6:34am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If anyone is interested here are the dates for Easter Sunday for the next 10 years.
    April 12th 2009
    April 4th 2010
    April 24th 2011
    April 8th 2012
    March 31st 2013
    April 20th 2014
    April 5th 2015
    March 27th 2016
    April 16th 2017
    April 1st 2018 (Honest )

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by georgemen View Post
    Re: Holy Week in DR
    Reply #18 on Feb 11, 2008, 6:34am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If anyone is interested here are the dates for Easter Sunday for the next 10 years.
    April 12th 2009
    April 4th 2010
    April 24th 2011
    April 8th 2012
    March 31st 2013
    April 20th 2014
    April 5th 2015
    March 27th 2016
    April 16th 2017
    April 1st 2018 (Honest )
    You should be OK

Post Thanks / Like

Easter is part of the liturgical calendar. It falls on the 1 Sunday after the 1st Full Moon AFTER the equinox of March. Which is why it jumps around so much.

HB

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Easter is part of the liturgical calendar. It falls on the 1 Sunday after the 1st Full Moon AFTER the equinox of March. Which is why it jumps around so much.

HB
    Holy week???
    Ok we are getting there!! Easter is sunday April 4th, therefore I presume the previous week is when most take off-or is it the week following.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Expat13 View Post
    Holy week???
    Ok we are getting there!! Easter is sunday April 4th, therefore I presume the previous week is when most take off-or is it the week following.
    In DR it's the week BEFORE

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Holy week starts on March 29, Monday - Good friday is April 2 and Easter Sunday is April 4.

Hope this helps!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast