Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OK to import and dump toxic and hazardous wastes in the DR

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Default OK to import and dump toxic and hazardous wastes in the DR

The Court has just ruled that it's OK to import and dump toxic and hazardous wastes in the DR, just so it's renamed "rock ash" and you have a few questionable affidavits from even more questionable labs that suggest the waste is not dangerous.

Today's EL NACIONAL

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

toxic or not toxic.....why in the world would you import someone else's refuse?....yet another example of the petty, pathetic greed of those in power....it is really embarrassing...

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default One thing I didn't mention---

In the article I wrote for "Dominican Today" and maybe should have. Didn't because it was "hearsay", though from an otherwise reliable source.
    here 'tis.
    Some RD$30million changed hands in the overall transaction/procedure involving the importation of the "Rock Ash', which WAS contaminated with 'Fly Ash".
    Recipients were those indicted, plus a couple from Manzanillo (including the "Sindico").
    No positive and difinitive proof was offered, so I wa forced to disregard the implication. CYA, you know? Had definite proof been available (other than the "appearance" of sudden wealth), you can bet your bottom dollar(peso) that fact would have been reported and names named.
    On appeal, maybe the prosecutor will be able to prove these allegations and furter supplement his evidence. let us hope so, This has been a gross miscaarriage of justice. makes me wonder as to the veracity of the "Judge"(?) in this case. Change of venue is absolutesy necessary and further, a judicial investigation into the "Judge's" reasons for throwing the case out should be done, in depth. methinks he was "gotten to".

Texas Bill
    "The Eyes of Texas Are Upon YOU!"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Who says it is toxic?

The limited research that I did on Google indicated that the materials rock ash and fly ash are not toxic materials, but valuable additives to concrete mixtures.

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by borgen
    The limited research that I did on Google indicated that the materials rock ash and fly ash are not toxic materials, but valuable additives to concrete mixtures.
    Borgen, you live in Dajabón and have business interests in the region, so you must be aware that most of your "rock ash" was dumped at the mouth of the Masacre river just across the border, without the knowledge of Haitian authorites. Another significant proportion was dumped on the beautiful beach of Arroyo Barril, Samaná, where people living in the vecinity are getting sick after having been exposed to the stuff. You can name it anyway you want it, but it doesn't take away that the stuff is toxic, and further it is a waste product, not a "valuable additive to concrete mixture". as you cynically state. There are international conventions governing the transportation and disposal of waste products, and the DR is signatory to these agreements. All those who participated in this trade are criminals and should be treated as such.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by borgen
    The toxic contaminants contained in the "Fly Ash" that was added to the "Rock Ash" deposited in the Manzanillo and Samana areas reportedly contained such contaminants as "Arsenic", "Cadium" and "Mercury" by an independent Laboratory. So how is it that your research didn't reveal this?

I'm NOT doubting your word, but necessarily must suspect your source(s) were not completely honest in their evaluations.

It just might be that the Puerto Rican Authorities saw the exportation as a way to get rid of some of their own contaminated substances and added that to the shipments. I really don't know. If that is the case, then they are just as guilty as those whom imported the substances.

The fact remains that the substances were present in the samples submitted for analysis.

I rest my case.

Hopefully, the Dominican Court system will eventually cite, prosecute, fine and incarcerate the wrongdoers in this instance.

Texas Bill
    Last edited by Texas Bill; 11-07-2005 at 04:45 PM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default OK, time to put this kitty to bed...

Iím tired of the tone that some use in this thread. I wonít refute you directly, Iíll let the people whose job it is to educate people on the subject of ash do that. Please check out these websites and their links before you go yelling ďthe skyís fallingĒ.

www.acaa-usa.org
    www.flyash.com
    www.wrashg.com

Like these, there are more out there. Just do some RESEARCH. Learn just a little about what youíre trying to talk about.

BTW, cadmium, arsenic and mercury are all found NATURALLY in soil, thatís DIRT for you and me. The same dirt kids all over the world play in. Yes, I know, dosage is the key, so find out the ppm/lbs that is IN the rockash, Iím sure itís negligible.

The REAL contaminant is airborne dust particles, fine blown sand is an example of this. These affect your lungs just as it would living in the desert or near the beach. Try researching silicosis if you donít mind.

In honor to the truth, the rockash you have is not from Pulverized Coal fired boilers (PC), itís from Circulating Fluidized Bed boilers (CFB). Itís not as well suited for use in HPC, high performance concrete, as PC ash, but there are many beneficial uses for it, including use in ground repair work.

I believe the real crime Trans-Dominicana commited was not to have taken the measures in dust control and storing it so close to a body of water. People, itís not poison.

Just my INFORMED two cents, E.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default sorry....my Pats are getting killed

hey dumb****,

death is also natural, but no one desires it
    Quote Originally Posted by gardito

BTW, cadmium, arsenic and mercury are all found NATURALLY in soil, that’s DIRT for you and me.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Your point is correct Gardito....

...its how the ash was brought into the country and deposited...not the contaminants in the rock ash "per se". There are uses for this material. In fact, as a big surprise to many on this board, there is rock ash/ fly ash brought into this country on a regular basis and its being used in products that Gardito was mentioning. However, burying trees and allowing this crap to "fly through the air", etc. was not the way to use the material. This was a greedy operational move. None of the companies that bring ash into the country at this moment in time wanted to touch what these folks were doing because they knew it was a definite wrong approach.

I know 1st hand about this...we were asked to help these folks get rid of the materials with some of the companies that use these types of materials.....we declined. I also know because we have actually made a proposal to PLD leadership to get rid of these materials in both Samana and Manzanillo...on a simple "quid pro quo" basis (no cash exchanging hands for those who feel a need to inquire further)...but have not been "taken up" on the offer. I suppose its possible they have a better offer on the table......

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Seems Gonads are in Place

Dominican Rep. Seeks $80M for U.S. Dumping

WASHINGTON - The Dominican Republic is looking to Washington for help recovering at least $80 million in damages from a U.S. utility it accuses of dumping thousands of tons of coal ash on the country's beaches, sickening residents and harming the tourism industry.
    <SCRIPT type=text/javascript>if (window.yzq_a == null) document.write("<scr" + "ipt type=text/javascript src=""http://us.js2.yimg.com/us.js.yimg.com/lib/bc/bc_1.7.3.js></scr" + "ipt>");</SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>if (window.yzq_a){yzq_a('p', 'P=ybrpEM6.I3oLb6vfRAjrXgvQgAgWREQZofYAAAFN&T=1cgc 60qq3%2fX%3d1142530550%2fE%3d85074877%2fR%3dnews%2 fK%3d5%2fV%3d1.1%2fW%3d8%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d3211584 898%2fH%3dY2FjaGVoaW50PSJuZXdzIiBjb250ZW50PSJXYXNo aW5ndG9uO2hlbHA7aXQ7Z292ZXJubWVudDtJdDtoZWFsdGg7cm VzcGlyYXRvcnk7YXN0aG1hO2NvcnJ1cHRpb247QW1lcmljYTtN aWRkbGUgRWFzdDtBZnJpY2E7cmVmdXJsX3d3d19kcnNvbF9pbm ZvIiByZWZ1cmw9InJlZnVybF93d3dfZHJzb2xfaW5mbyIgdG9w aWNzPSJyZWZ1cmxfd3d3X2Ryc29sX2luZm8i%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3 d6223BECE');yzq_a('a', '&U=139bhti3j%2fN%3d97BFt86.IsY-%2fC%3d390764.8155321.8972181.1442997%2fD%3dLREC%2 fB%3d3226908');}</SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT>http://us.bc.yahoo.com/b?P=ybrpEM6.I...%2fB%3d3226908</NOSCRIPT>
    The Dominican government has hired a Washington lawyer to attempt to open settlement talks with the company, AES Corp., or failing that, to file a lawsuit in U.S. courts against AES [article]

ClaveDigital has an angle on it.

I believe this person to be the Bart Fisher extensively quoted in the article....

...among Bart Fisher's many cited, published works, this one jumps out;

“The Antidumping Law of the United States: An Economic and Legal Analysis,” 5 Law and Policy in International Business (November, 1973)
    Last edited by aegap; 03-16-2006 at 02:00 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast