Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Notice to all expats in the dr!!!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Get ready guys, real estate will be even cheaper...

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mido View Post
    Get ready guys, real estate will be even cheaper...
    Of course. But the demand drops like a rock also.

Real estate is cheap in Detroit right now.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

And lots of vacant apartments looking for renters ! As my mom used to say do not bite your nose off to spite your face.

4. Likes SKing liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

These new more restrictive regulations have nothing to with the DR but are most likely being pushed on the DR by the US. - via approvals for World Bank and IMF money.

The name of the game: making it harder for US citizens to flee the US and set up shop in the DR and take their money with them.

6. Likes AndyGriffith liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    More costly, difficult residency and more expensive, difficult, and expense business formation/operation/taxation would make the DR a very unattractive place to reside and do business as a foreigner.

Keeping scum out is one thing.

This direction is one that gives me pause.
    IF Im not mistaken the idea is to make it easier to do business, especially for Small and Medium Enterprises, and both for locals and foreigners.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post
    IF Im not mistaken the idea is to make it easier to do business, especially for Small and Medium Enterprises, and both for locals and foreigners.
    How?

Do you operate a business in the DR?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Surely it is simply to get expats to pay their taxes, the majority don't, and most that do work the books to some extent, but a bit of trickery is normal anywhere, but flying under the radar entirely not so.

Or I could be wrong

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    How?

Do you operate a business in the DR?
    Yes you could say I do, but that doesn't have to do with my statement. From what I read in the news and from what Pichardo posted here one of the goals is to make it easier to do business, or in his words:

The DR will be looking to attract entrepreneurs and industrial start-ups, with all the conveniences it can afford for their move to the country.
    In my case....I am a highly skilled worker even though not in an industry sector, and I believe my (small) undertakings will benefit from this new approach of the Dominican government. And I do believe the country will benefit from immigrants that contribute something to the country opposed to those that come for retirement, now I can go on and get nasty...but I won't.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Mauricio - The problem is that I do not think "small biz" such as you, I or Cobra may operate probably will be "too interesting" to the gubmit. For the "startup" they may think along the lines of US$10 million green field investment rather than couple of guys sleeping in their office living on pizzas and coffees and working diabolic hours (the typical American startup) getting a new gizmo or idea to fruition.

Cobra has a small touring biz, giving jobs to people when they have tours, and spending money in hotels, restaurants etc along the routes, plus gasoline taxes of course. Question is...will the gubmit consider that kind of business "worthy"?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rubio_higuey View Post
    Mauricio - The problem is that I do not think "small biz" such as you, I or Cobra may operate probably will be "too interesting" to the gubmit. For the "startup" they may think along the lines of US$10 million green field investment rather than couple of guys sleeping in their office living on pizzas and coffees and working diabolic hours (the typical American startup) getting a new gizmo or idea to fruition.

Cobra has a small touring biz, giving jobs to people when they have tours, and spending money in hotels, restaurants etc along the routes, plus gasoline taxes of course. Question is...will the gubmit consider that kind of business "worthy"?
    And income taxes, ITIBIS, etc. for two businesses (including Welcome to Blue Orb SRL).

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast