Thread: Ophtalmologist in Puerto Plata area

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ophtalmologist in Puerto Plata area

I have been helping a family in Puerto Plata. One of the member of that family has developed what has been diagnosed by a nurse as conjunctivitis in one eye, given some drops and told to use soap when washing his hands.

While this may be good general advice, I would still like him to be checked by an ophthalmologist if there is one in the Puerto Plata area. Is there one or does he have to travel to Santiago? What kind of price are we talking about for a Dominicano?

Thank you!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Dr. Burroughs in Bournigal is excellent; can't speak for his prices though....I have American insurance.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. I think that when it comes to eye health one cannot be too careful.

dv8
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

a visit to en eye doctor without insurance can be a costly one, depending on what is done. prepare for something between 500 and 1500 pesos, more if any tests are involved.
    with conjunctivitis the person will get better very fast with correct medication.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the price range.
    He seems to be getting a bit better already. He was told to stay out of the heat (!). I guess in that case it means close to a fan or at least out of the sun.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyH View Post
    Dr. Burroughs in Bournigal is excellent; can't speak for his prices though....I have American insurance.
    I have used Dr. Burroughs many times, both for eye infections and vision exams. He speaks English very well. About 2 years ago his office visit was in the 500-600 peso range.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyH View Post
    I've been to 3 different doctors in that clinic for three different conditions I was charged 1500 pesos for each visit, so I figure that is the going rate. Went to a primary care physician here in Maine last week and was charged $168.00 . More than 4 times as much, so I don't figure 1500 pesos woiuld be that much if he has you to cover for him.
    Der Fish