Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Those nasty centipedes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Those nasty centipedes

Stayed in Cabrara in April at a friends house. Long story short we had our first encounter with a 6 inch centipede and my husband was bit, in our bed no less. Needless to say I would like some advice as to how to limit, or better yet, eliminate encounters with those creatures especially at 3:00 in the A.M. In our bed. We will be going back later this year and will be starting to build a house. I have heard chickens make short use of the creatures but having chickens is not an option. How about spraying the building foundation with a pesticide?? Any thoughts

Post Thanks / Like

That is certainly an option.

Also be sure to make sure things are clean and dry...Centipedes like dark and damp (that's why it was in your bed-a nasty thought, ugh!)

Spray the bathroom and any place that is a possible hiding place, like down the overflow hole in the washbasin...be surprised what hides in there!!

Also around the foundation of the house.

I am sure you will get more advice...

Be well,

HB

Moderator DR1.com

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

DR1 WARNING
    dangerous animals:

Cenpie

Cacata

Viuda negra

Chicas

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by predom1 View Post

Stayed in Cabrara in April at a friends house. Long story short we had our first encounter with a 6 inch centipede and my husband was bit, in our bed no less. Needless to say I would like some advice as to how to limit, or better yet, eliminate encounters with those creatures especially at 3:00 in the A.M. In our bed. We will be going back later this year and will be starting to build a house. I have heard chickens make short use of the creatures but having chickens is not an option. How about spraying the building foundation with a pesticide?? Any thoughts

Just get a tabby for the home! It does the job 100%! The pattern of the tabby will help it a lot in catching pests...(it's a passed down knowledge that tabbies work better than plain color cats and don't ask me why I just accepted it after trying it out and it works).

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    That is certainly an option.

Also be sure to make sure things are clean and dry...Centipedes like dark and damp (that's why it was in your bed-a nasty thought, ugh!)

Spray the bathroom and any place that is a possible hiding place, like down the overflow hole in the washbasin...be surprised what hides in there!!

Also around the foundation of the house.

I am sure you will get more advice...

Be well,

HB
    My ex wife was a centipede that would sleep in the bed too and I would be able to wake up and see her. I should have made sure that the bed was clean and dry.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PICHARDO View Post
    Just get a tabby for the home! It does the job 100%! The pattern of the tabby will help it a lot in catching pests...(it's a passed down knowledge that tabbies work better than plain color cats and don't ask me why I just accepted it after trying it out and it works).
    Excuse my ignorance pichardo- but what is a "tabby"?

Edit: Sorry i just read its a cat. I must learn to read posts several times before asking questions.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by recycle View Post
    DR1 WARNING
    dangerous animals:

Chicas

These only BITE you in the wallet.

Off Topic - Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 cats, one dark grey that I brought from the states, and a white one that adopted me when a kitten 2 years ago. In the over 3 years in the same house I have NEVER seen anything larger than an ant make it inside alive. Yesterday I found a large spider in pieces out by the front door. Even the little lizards don't make it inside, and I like them..............
    Get a cat..........or 2.......

B in Santiago

Off Topic - Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SantiagoDR View Post
    That's why I carry my wallet in my front pocket................

B in Santiago

10. Likes CaptnGlenn, SantiagoDR liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SantiagoDR View Post
    Impressive appendages, better than most I have seen.

12. Likes CaptnGlenn, SantiagoDR liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast