Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: household advice needed

dv8
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default household advice needed

i have towels, you know. formerly white, now more in grayish hue. but they are nice towels and i want to return them to their former glory.
    yes, laundry in DR sucks big time as it is not really possible to wash in very hot water - which is what i would do at home. but alas, we are not in kansas, or even szczecin, for all that matters. so i wash towels in cold water. i use washing powder (tide?), cloro and rayito. but the results are not impressive.
    i need a good dominican method of making my whites real white. so please, ask your wives, mothers and maids - what can i do?

spare me any advice concerning the use of american products that one can get in america only. i am in DR and i need something that is available here, ok?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Get a bucket. Fill with water and chloro and washing powder. Place towels in buckets and soak for an hour. Buy Dominican washing soap - comes in blocks, jabon de cuaba or jabon candado it is called, and available in any colmado - whole or half a bar. Squat next to bucket and wash towels with soap, scrubbing hard until knuckles raw. Result is beautiful white towels. If no water in house do same process but at river.

Matilda

3. Likes bronzeallspice, pollogringo liked this post
    dv8
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

ok, i need to clarify: i need something that will make my towels white and require no work from me

this dominican soap thing, can i use it for washing in a washing machine? tide is, frankly, crap.

5. Likes JDJones liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

OXYCLEAN will make anything whiter, and not bleach out colors. I am sure it is sold somewhere in the larger stores.
    Just soak the towels for 1/2 hour in a sink with a cup of it, then wash as normal, add a little to the wash.

dv8
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

never seen it but then i never looked. i shall check la sirena.

Post Thanks / Like

White towels, sheets etc should never be washed with anything else but whites. My dear old aunt said so.

I made a call to Sicily because I remember pots of water and sheets boiling Her instructions were similar to Mats except we had some huge copper kettle, filled it with water, boiled it (we didn't have hot water back then) left soapy sheets and towels over night then washed as normal.

You can do the same in washing machine. Good soaking is the key. She said you can also soap them up and place in the sun but only if they are 100% cotton.
    Moderator Visa forums
    www.DR1.com

9. Likes jrjrth liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Try adding a cup of white vinegar to your soak
    Manu

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    ok, i need to clarify: i need something that will make my towels white and require no work from me

this dominican soap thing, can i use it for washing in a washing machine? tide is, frankly, crap.
    Call yourself a hard working housewife?! You could try rubbing the towels with it and then putting them in the washing machine, but not sure it would work as well as you doing it yourself. Just think, all that hard work with the arms will be like pectoral exercise and stop the tits sagging later.

Matilda

12. Dislikes pollogringo disliked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

hit dislike accidentally, Matilda...

I wish I could have liked it twice.

14. Likes Matilda liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pollogringo View Post
    hit dislike accidentally, Matilda...

I wish I could have liked it twice.
    Don't worry bud, got you covered on that second like. I'm sure it's to do with the no sagging tit part...at least for me that's the part I'm liking most

NotLurking

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast