Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Montana to North Coast ...where do we buy good beef?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Nacional in Santiago has excellent range of Aberdeen Angus meat. La Sirena also stocks a limited selection of this imported beef.

2. Likes waytogo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't try and do everything on the internet. We all have out little ways.

If you have deeeeep pockets, you can buy Angus at La Sirena in Puerto Plata or Nacional in Santiago. However, the prices will cause you some "sticker shock" ...

There are other cuts (bring a few charts so you can show the local butchers how and where to cut, since most of them just hack) which can be purchased, seasoned and marinated overnight which do well. Know that most (99.99%) of local meat is free range beef. A ballplayer at a cook-out years ago, looked me in the eye and asked, " Are you sure this ain't venison?"

The word is "adapt to what is here" And every now and then go to the states, buy a few cuts, freeze them rock hard, wrap them well, put them in your bag and fly back. My boys have done this for years and we enjoy a feast.

Cordially,

HB

Moderator DR1.com

4. Likes arrugala liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The short answer is you will probably be unhappy with the beef quality, especially given your current address.

Just one of the adjustments needed after relocating here.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you could try growing your own...and hiring a butcher

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I had to quit eating beef more than 20 years ago. BUT — in the 1980s:

The best filet I've ever had, outside of Louisiana and Paris, was from a butcher in Cap Ha´tien who dry hung it 90 days in ambient conditions until it had a hard green shell that made it look like a very large howitzer round. Inside, the filet was blue/black, no BS marbling of fat like the U.S. hormone-and-water stuffed schlock — and it cooked without tenderizing and cut with a fork.

Second best was from Erika, a butcher on the corner of San Felipe and Mella in PoP, but they're long gone.

Hispaniola has the oldest beef culture in the western hemisphere, most of which has been lost or modified by immigrants and by superior consumer production from the U.S. and Argentina. The U.S. beef lobby used Mad Cow hysteria to blacklist Argentinian beef, so that even today Asadero Argentina in SD must serve the USDA marbled schlock. But I'm sure that, as in the 80s, if you look well, you'll find a good source in the DR, probably run by a Gallego.

Or buy "free range" local (not hit by a car), and if you don't have the patience to dry hang it for 90 days, marinate in papaya (lechosa). But beef is one thing the DR needn't get dissed on.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Beef (and Pizza)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBoyTheGreat View Post
    Mmmm...BEEF! Yes, that's a must. I'd like to find some good sources too before we move down to the D.R. John M.
    If great beef is a must for you, I would consider looking at another location than the DR. Getting "good" beef will mean importing it yourself, paying very high prices for imported beef, or going through your own methods of aging and tenderizing it to get it to where you can actually eat local beef as others have mentioned. And about the same applies to pizza in the DR, there is no such thing as a great pizza in the DR unless you make it yourself.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel foolish b/c it was my thread... but I don't have the information with me now.

The good butcher in Sto Domingo, famous for sausages. gets good ( as good as can be had) beef.
    My friend had a roast and at Christmas and swears by this shop.

I'll try looking it up.
    Robert knows the name.

Ah! the search function...
    https://foursquare.com/v/nellos-carn...3720a18149c62e

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Nello's?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes..... thats it in my post above.

Really good meat.... best I've seen

The ribeyes looked great....

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    Yes..... thats it in my post above.

Really good meat.... best I've seen

The ribeyes looked great....
    If you found a butcher that knows how to supply good aged beef at a reasonable price, that is a great thing.
    Unfortunately a butcher in Santo Domingo isn't much help to someone on the north coast

I have also seen beef that "looks" like it would be good here, but still would be more suitable for retreading a tire.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast