Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Traveling to Cabarete in September need advice

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Traveling to Cabarete in September need advice

Hi there!
    My boyfriend and I will be in Cabarete for 11 days at the beginning of September. What will the weather be like?

Also, we are wondering how much spending money we should bring to have a good time. We would like to surf a couple days, snorkel/possibly do SCUBA, eat well, and take a day trip to see the house of Las Hermanas Mirabal/Las Mariposas :-) We were thinking we wouldn't need to rent a car? What do you think? Knowing what we want to do, how much money do you suggest? We will be staying at the Hotel Alegria in one of the rooms with a kitchenette, so we will not need to eat out all meals but we will probably want to eat out once a day. Are there good, affordable groceries available in town?

ANY advice you can give us would be appreciated, and we'd love to meet anyone who would like to show us your beautiful island! We both speak decent Spanish and we REALLY want to meet lots of local people and other tourists and just learn a lot while we have fun! Thanks for reading.
    -Emily

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Emily, the most complete grocery store with the best prices in Cabarete is Janet's, about 100 meters from Hotel Alegria. From the description of what you and your boyfriend plan to do, I'd say US$100 in spending money a day for your food, some scuba and a trip to the Mirabel's place should be plenty adequate for the two of you. You can get by on less if you wish. You should also let Hotel Alegria know that you are planning to stay. I happen to know you haven't done that yet, since I am the owner.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

:-) Yes, in fact, we just finalized the plans today so we haven't made a reservation. I believe your website says you like a deposit via PayPal for longer stays. We should be able to put this deposit down by the end of the week. Our tentative dates are September 2-13, we may not come until the 3rd depending on flight availability. Your website says those dates are still available but I'm sure your info is more current :-) We would like to stay in one of the studios with kitchenettes. I am not certified in SCUBA should I do it here or should I get certification while in the DR? How much does it cost for certification and/or rental? Thanks for your response!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Also I heard it will be hurricane season. Does this mean it's likely to rain the whole time or only if we are so unlucky as to be hit with a hurricane?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Usually just a thunder storm at night. You might want to bring a couple of those light plastic rain panchos. It's warm rain, but it can come down heavy at times. You'll have fun. That's what life is about.

6. Dislikes malko disliked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

if you arent certified in scuba diving they give a few hours teaching in a pool- I supposed you could avoid that by getting certified at home so to speak lol...doesnt sound good getting certified lol

http://www.northerncoastdiving.com/

I enjoyed using this one in Sosua

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I think $ 100 USD per day is not a lot. If you want to go out at night and enjoy cabarete's nifght life you should plan for more then that, drinks are any where from $ 3 USD to $ 10 USD on average. Food is about $ 15 USD to $ 27 USD and taxes are up to 26% sometimes on top of the food and drinks. Transportation is an other issue, If you want to tour the Island like, visiting the Mariposa house, you will need at least $ 200 USD just in transportation. Weather is an other issue, if you look now you can see that systems are forming over the islansds sometime staying for 2 to 3 days over the islands with tunderstorm and lots of rain. This can make windsurfing and kitesurfing condition a bit difficult.

I hope this does not get a negative reaction. I just want you to be prepare just in case before you leave on your vacation but rest a sure that Cabarete is a wonderful place for a vacation regardless of cost and weather.

Enjoy,

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

We've decided we can chance it with the weather. A few days of rain won't kill us! We've never done kite or windsurfing and I don't know if we will try them while we're there, we're looking for more of a relaxing vacation. I'd like to do just regular old surfing for a couple days, he's not so into that. We're not big drinkers so I doubt we'll be out drinking every night. Maybe a few nights. We don't plan to eat out every meal because we have a kitchen at our hotel so we will try to cook there as much as possible...we'll probably eat out once a day, maybe twice on some days.

We may have to forgo the SCUBA as we are on a budget and it sounds like that will be the more expensive thing. Heartbreaking, but maybe we can find a way to make it work.

The only travelling we want to do is to Salcedo to see the Mariposa house and to Las Galeras for snorkeling. Will that really be $200? Aren't there buses or guaguas or something cheaper? For those of you who live there do you think the Mirabal place is worth the trek?

Thanks everyone for your honest opinions. I appreciate everyone's input! :-)

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're flexible and a little adventurous, $100 a day is more than enough for the two of you to eat well, drink all the rum and beer you'd like, party with the locals...and tourists, surf in the mornings and still have enough left over for a few side trips...as long as you take public transportation.

Cabarete has great and inexpensive food and drink and over the top priced places as well...just look at menus and ask prices before hand...

As for the scuba, Don't count on getting certified while you are here, it will take a good part of your vacation in time and money...but you can still go on a few dives. I suggest you head to Sosua one morning. From the main street (Pedro Clisante) to the beach, you'll pass about a half dozen dive shops, just ask each one for their price (I think it's called a "resort course"...where they teach you the basics so you can go out on some simple dives)...after checking them all out (should only take about 20-30 minutes), choose the one you like the best and make them an offer based on the best pricing you found. September is one of the slowest months in what has been an extremely slow year for tourism here....you should be able to get a pretty good deal.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Kite lessons run about $50.00 per day, per person. Allow a good 7 days. Look up Cabarete Rests. You can spend from $20.00 to $100.00. Casonovas (sp), near O'shey's has 1/2 price. I think 4-6. Includes drinks. Go to Claro's Just past Janet's. Best breakfast. You should be ok with $100.00-$150.00. Don't buy on the beach. Across from OSheys, Liquidor. 2nd floor. Beache vendors buy from him and sell to you. Good luck. We live here 9 months a year. All you need is some shorts, T shirts and a couple swim suits. We're no fancy here.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast