Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Restaurants : price for resident

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Restaurants : price for resident

I remenber I read once a thread on the fact that some restaurants offer differents prices for the permanent residents.
    I didn't note those because at this time I wasn't a resident. But now I am !!!!
    So if you know this restaurants, or if you know what to do to pay cheaper and to come more often in this places, I thank you to explain this to me.

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by diego200 View Post
    I remenber I read once a thread on the fact that some restaurants offer differents prices for the permanent residents.
    So if you know this restaurants, or if you know what to do to pay cheaper and to come more often in this places, I thank you to explain this to me.
    I believe that La Roca is the only restaurant that has double pricing.

SKY
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Ask for the Resident's Menu at La Roca.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by diego200 View Post
    Living in Puerto Plata I can tell you without a doubt pricing is different for permanent residents ( for obvious reasons I will not Identify )

First off I was sitting in a Gringo Bar in the centre of town yesterday downing a Grande Presidente that I pay RD. 80 Pesos for, a tourist comes in and orders the same and is charged RD. 100 Pesos.

I go to a restaurant and order a nice meal, because I live here I'm told I get a discount of 10%
    Also If I pay cash (No credit card) I'm not charged the horrendous 26%.

Another example is I go into a Pharmacy and demand 10% off and receive it.

I could go on but you catch my drift by now!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
    Also If I pay cash (No credit card) I'm not charged the horrendous 26%.
    Does this 26% include a 10% propina?
    Some say si but others say no.

Does a 10% service fee tax equal a 10% tip?
    If it does not all go directly to the workers, I would have to say no.

Apparently there are places where the owner takes some of the actual tips so it would seem likely that there are many more owners that take some or all of this fee which seems ridiculous to me.

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Malibook View Post
    Does this 26% include a 10% propina?
    Some say si but others say no.

Does a 10% service fee tax equal a 10% tip?
    If it does not all go directly to the workers, I would have to say no.

Apparently there are places where the owner takes some of the actual tips so it would seem likely that there are many more owners that take some or all of this fee which seems ridiculous to me.
    The 10% is not a tip, it is a percentage charged to be distributed amongst all the employees as part of their salaries.
    The 16% is the food tax paid to the governement.
    I know of one restaurant in POP that takes part of the waiter's tips, so we have to wrap his tip up in a napkin and give it to him on the sly.
    Gringo indicates that double pricing in POP is common.
    Like I said above, the only restaurant I know of in Sosua that does it, is La Roca.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

And some restaurants, like Rocky's, charge fair prices for all, no need to charge extra to some so they can discount to others. I think that is a much more honorable thing to do.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

We eat at this place in Sosua alot. I never look at all the prices I'm being charge, but one time I did. Does a bagel realy cost 130 pesos.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

The 10% is not a tip, it is a percentage charged to be distributed amongst all the employees as part of their salaries.
    The 16% is the food tax paid to the governement.
    I know of one restaurant in POP that takes part of the waiter's tips, so we have to wrap his tip up in a napkin and give it to him on the sly.
    Gringo indicates that double pricing in POP is common.
    Like I said above, the only restaurant I know of in Sosua that does it, is La Roca.
    Some people seem to think that the tip is already included.

Thanks for clearing this up Rocky.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

a once popular gringo bar near to the central park in pta.pla appliies this 2 tier policy(woof,woof seen them caught out a couple of times too applying this silly and greedy(in my opinion)act.
    same said folks are ALLWAYS moaning about AI tourists not leaving the complex.would it encourage anyone if they felt they were being stiffed?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast