Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Santo Domingo Restaurants

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys! absolutetly, Pate palo is an awesome restaurant and its right in the colonial city, one of my favorite parts of Santo Domingo. Mamajuana Cafe is also near by with similar price range and awesome food, i have a post about it, with pictures of the dishes I ate

I have a food blog oriented to restaurants in Santo Domingo,called InsatiableDR (FYI its in english ). I post about once a week on a new restaurant every time. Check it out and make sure you follow to get instant notifications on new posts.

Im also available on twitter @insatiabledr . If you have any questions about food or Dominican Republic in General Ill be glad to help, me being a dominican will probably give you another point of view

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Expat13 View Post
    I prefer Don Nestor steak , eat there every week, good Argentine cooked on the parilla!

Don Nestors has good steaks argentina style. If it is raining, not a great choice because it is basically a grill and some tables in a plaza but owner is always there and steaks are very good.

Same league as Don Nestor for Argentina style we have Asadero Argentina, and Antonios. IMHO a cut above is Patagonia Grill in Naco, my fave new steakhouse in DR.

David Crocketts is good as well, but the best and as good as top US steak place? Not really. Not a huge Ruth's Chris fan but would pick them over David Crockett if there was one in SDQ. The Palm, Smith and Wollensky, Gallaghers, Lawrys, Shula's, Capital Grill, all chains and all better than crocketts.

Porterhouse seemed to be short lived as "the steakhouse" in SD and didn't really impress me.

Meson De La Cava the food is inconsistent and never great but can be very good. However if you want something different that is the place. I always take people there as long after they forget the food they remember eating in a cave.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

So, where did you go?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pollogringo View Post
    Meson de la Cava?
    Yes, I couldn't remember the name.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I know this is too late for your needs but worth a mention an any regards. There is a small but cozy restaurant in the street where the Rodriguez Sanchez hospital is, opposite the main hospital entrance. I visited for the first time this week, and what a gem. No frills, just plain good food, served by the most friendliest waiter / barman. The place has so much charm not unlike the small restaurants / tapas bars you find in Madrid or other major cities.

They have a fixed (small) menu and a daily " special". I ate from the menu as did the wife, braised oxtails....delicious and the best I have ever had. Meal for 2 incl drink 1030 pesos !. Also a glass of peach schnapps when we finished from the house. 10/10

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rafael View Post
    Meson De La Cava the food is inconsistent and never great but can be very good. However if you want something different that is the place. I always take people there as long after they forget the food they remember eating in a cave.
    It's an awesome experience with solid food & service...

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

We ate at the No.1 Buffet on Luperon Thursday night.

Nice to eat at a real Chinese buffet for a change, Good selection, well-prepared food, a good experience. We'll eat there again...

gas
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post
    So, where did you go?
    First, I'd like to thank everyone that responded. You left me with an abundance of choices, an over-abundance, haha.

Plans were changed and tonight will be our last night dining out. Last night, we had dinner at my girlfriend's mother's house. I had fantastic San Cocho.

I should have defined "memorable" better. This will be my last night with my girlfriend until I return in a month or so. So, memorable mostly equals romantic. Neither of us are really into dancing -- I know, we should be banned from DR -- for that reason, I took El Conuco out of consideration though it seemed to get the loudest cheers.

We have eaten at Pat Palo (I forgot) and for whatever reason, she didn't like it. And lastly, I am not a steak aficianado and couldn't care less about steak. And Paco's, yikes!! It's a fun place to go and people watch, but it ends there.

So, with that in mind, perhaps someone can narrow this down.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Villar Hermanos is very good, economical, and lively with many customers. It's on Independencia near Zona Colonial.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dinner by the shore maybe ??

Quote Originally Posted by gas View Post
    First, I'd like to thank everyone that responded. You left me with an abundance of choices, an over-abundance, haha.

Plans were changed and tonight will be our last night dining out. Last night, we had dinner at my girlfriend's mother's house. I had fantastic San Cocho.

I should have defined "memorable" better. This will be my last night with my girlfriend until I return in a month or so. So, memorable mostly equals romantic. Neither of us are really into dancing -- I know, we should be banned from DR -- for that reason, I took El Conuco out of consideration though it seemed to get the loudest cheers.

We have eaten at Pat Palo (I forgot) and for whatever reason, she didn't like it. And lastly, I am not a steak aficianado and couldn't care less about steak. And Paco's, yikes!! It's a fun place to go and people watch, but it ends there.

So, with that in mind, perhaps someone can narrow this down.
    After that being said I think youll like one of the restaurants in Boca Chica right on the beach. Its beautiful and very romantic. The food is alright but I assure it will be memorable. I recommend Neptunos and Boca Marina (they are side by side basically but I prefer Neptunos). Check out the link, where you can see more info on it.

Let me know what you think if you go

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast