Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it safe to travel by car?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Is it safe to travel by car?

Hello

I'm want to rent a car to go from Punta Cana to Samana, is it safe?
    It's easy for a tourist to drive around DR?
    Where can I get road maps for DR?
    Thank You

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

generally it isnt safe to drive in the DR...but then again it isnt much less safe to be a passenger.

the biggest up side is you will not be held liable for damages of an accident if you are the passenger, as ooposed to the driver( much more so if you are a GRINGO)

I am not sure the ferry is working..maybe someone else can enlighten us to that info. But if it is then the trip is way less of a headache probably.

if the ferry isnt working... then it looks like a long way around. i am not sure if there is a new and easy way to hook up with the new Samana-Santo Domingo Highway from the Punta Cana area.

I am not sure i would recomend that non ferry trip to a beginner.

there is little to no road side assistance in the DR....

There are maps that would get you to samana, they are hard to find.

I bought two good ones in a store in Santiago... I am sure they are sold most big cities.

I dont have them in front of me now, so i cant speak about the route...

Id hate to think you would have to come all the way down to the capital to hook up with the new highway!!!

good luck

bad bob

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The ferry is for foot passengers only so if you are going by car you need to take the long way round anyway.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

The best way to see the DR is with a rented car. Yes, there are risks. Yes, you must give yourself time to get lost. Yes, you must not drive at night. It is doable, and it is so much more enjoyable to have one's own wheels. I would do this in two parts. Overnight in Santo Domingo, in fact, spend two nights. Then head for Samana on the new tolls highway. About US$20 in tolls, but everyone says it is worth it.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the best way to see the DR is by motorcycle.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

if money isn't a problem i would advise flying, renting a car in samana and flying back. it also depends on how much time you have to visit. have spent vacations driving too much (and it is a bit hectic out there) and would allow for an all day drive to get where you are going and one for the return trip. Home this is a company that flies to get another option.... enjoy your vacation, i hope to be in samana in nov.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Ditto to what Dolores says with the exception that I believe one can make it relatively easy if you get started early. Remember, just don't drive at night and be attentive - you will soon learn the rules of the road.

I just had a young Dominican family visit me from Orlando. They were at first apprehensive about driving here, but I talked them into it. Needless to say, they were very pleased to find out it really wasn't a big deal. They traveled from SD to Punta Cana and also to the Cibao region - but not in the same day.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

If you want to be safe go to Canada. But it is cold.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

i have to agree that the best way to see DR is by motorcycle..

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fonsecazelia View Post
    Hello

I'm want to rent a car to go from Punta Cana to Samana, is it safe?
    It's easy for a tourist to drive around DR?
    Where can I get road maps for DR?
    Thank You
    For years, the best trip I ever had in the Dominican Republic is when I hired a very talented taxi driver cum tourism guide. I piled my whole family into the taxi and we set off around the country. We spent a very enjoyable 10 days trekking to all of the "non-tourist" locations we could and had a great time.

By having a taxi we were able to spend the time actually looking at the country vs. dodging the various things on the road. It was a blast and 8 years later my kids (now adults) still comment on how much fun it was.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast