Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Maintaining a Claro phone number from abroad

  1. #1
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,569
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Maintaining a Claro phone number from abroad

    There was a discussion on this a couple of years ago, but I think things have changed with the sale of the company. I just returned to the US from a trip to the DR, where I bought a Claro SIM card for my phone. My activation will expire at the end of December, but I will not be able to return til January at the earliest. I can get a new SIM when I go back of course, but I would like to keep the same number. Is there a way to keep this number active by buying minutes online or a number to call from here in the US and add minutes from a card?

  2. #2
    Gold
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    5,006
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't know how Claro, but Orange offers prepaid Roaming in the USA and Canada and most of Western Europe. You can just enter the recharge cards anywhere you are in the roaming area with your prepaid roaming activated. You have to activate it before leaving the DR. Check with Claro que tienes más to see if they offer a similar service.

  3. #3
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    844
    Post Thanks / Like

    Lightbulb Part of the problem...............

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetdbt View Post
    There was a discussion on this a couple of years ago, but I think things have changed with the sale of the company. I just returned to the US from a trip to the DR, where I bought a Claro SIM card for my phone. My activation will expire at the end of December, but I will not be able to return til January at the earliest. I can get a new SIM when I go back of course, but I would like to keep the same number. Is there a way to keep this number active by buying minutes online or a number to call from here in the US and add minutes from a card?
    can be solved by calling this TOLL FREE number from the US and refilling your phone:

    1-800-644-9942

    I am not sure where you can buy the cards, but I thought that there were places in the US where they can be purchased.......

    You can always find SOMEONE YOU TRUST!, ( who won't use your minutes in their phone!) in the DR and have them buy you a card and scratch off the strip and supply you with the number and all you have to do is enter it by calling the above number from the US........

  4. #4
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,569
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks for the didgets POPBB. I have someone who can get a card for me and email the number. So when I dial that toll free #, do I enter the # of the Claro phone, and then the card #?

  5. #5
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    844
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default It's toll free.................

    ..........so just call it and find out............

    I really don't know cause I don't have prepaid phones.........I do know the number works though cause I tried it............

    I believe you can dial:

    *22 for balance
    311 to Refill cards
    611 English

    I would assume that if you dialed the 311 it would then prompt you to enter the telephone number etc and then the card number..........

    Since it's free, you might want to call now and just check it out before getting a card.........

  6. #6
    Gold
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    5,006
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Called the 800 #. You cannot recharge prepaid phone via that number. It's a calling card access number.

    You can 1) activate roaming and recharge similar way as I described in Re: Orange
    2) Somebody can go a a Codetel/Claro customer service center and recharge your phone electronically - you enter your phone number and get recharged
    3) Buy electronic recharge at stores with machines (similar to POS credit card terminals) where you enter your phone number and get recharged. I think La Sirena does that, and many other stores

  7. #7
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    844
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default I guess the number is wrong...........

    Quote Originally Posted by rubio_higuey View Post
    Called the 800 #. You cannot recharge prepaid phone via that number. It's a calling card access number.

    You can 1) activate roaming and recharge similar way as I described in Re: Orange
    2) Somebody can go a a Codetel/Claro customer service center and recharge your phone electronically - you enter your phone number and get recharged
    3) Buy electronic recharge at stores with machines (similar to POS credit card terminals) where you enter your phone number and get recharged. I think La Sirena does that, and many other stores
    .....but I know that my friends recharge their "prepaid" claro phones IN THE US............cause I bring cards to the US for them whenever I go there....... I have a call into one of them now to find out how they do it...............

    .............i'll post any info as soon as I get it.............sorry about the wrong number.............but that's what I had from about 3 years ago.........

    I KNOW it can be done, cause on a trip to the US 2 weeks ago one friend wanted 4 - $250.00 claro cards which I brought to them..............They must activate the phone somehow.!

  8. #8
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    844
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Well..........

    ......I have the number and it's no longer toll free...........

    it is: 809-200-3224

    You can charge the phone by calling that number and entering in your card number that you bought........

    ......they ask your phone number etc...........

    PopBadBoy

  9. #9
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    950
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Does this work for Viva and Verizon? From the US?

  10. #10
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    844
    Post Thanks / Like

    Post To clarify.........

    Quote Originally Posted by POP Bad Boy View Post
    ......I have the number and it's no longer toll free...........

    it is: 809-200-3224

    You can charge the phone by calling that number and entering in your card number that you bought........

    ......they ask your phone number etc...........

    PopBadBoy
    This is for a CLARO (Verizon) prepaid phone.................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •